800 Wilshire Boulevard
Earthjustice is seeking a Litigation Assistant to join our California Regional office in Los Angeles to begin work no later than July 5, 2018.
Earthjustice is the nation’s premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups, supporters, individuals and communities to engage the critical environmental issues of our time, and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring talented and dedicated attorneys who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters are in San Francisco with nine offices across the U.S.
This position facilitates the efficient operation of the Los Angeles office and our practice of law by providing administrative support to office staff.
Litigation Support (60%):
- Demonstrate expertise in the use of law office software (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Timeslips, Access, etc.)
- Help prepare and/or edit documents for filing in state and federal courts and other administrative venues:
- Format documents in compliance with rules and procedures
- Work with one to several editors to prepare final documents from draft stages
- Check citations and quotes for accuracy
- Proofread for errors, syntax, consistency, style, etc.
- Create tables of contents and authorities
- Assemble administrative records
- Assemble exhibits and other supporting documents
- Provide first drafts of procedural pleadings (e.g., notice of appearance, pro hac vice applications, etc.)
- Provide first drafts of supporting substantive pleadings (e.g., standing declarations, attorney declarations in support, etc.)
- Provide first drafts for segments of comment letters (e.g., factual timeline, supporting factual background information, etc.)
- Collect, format and provide analysis of supporting documentation (e.g., motion to claim attorney’s fee)
- Coordinate filing of documents either manually or via e-filing:
- Ensure all court filing rules are being met
- Ensure accuracy of service list and create proof of service
- Ensure timely filing and service of all documents
- Communicate verbally or in writing with clients and the court as needed
- Proofread documents and pleadings
- Assist attorneys with hearing preparation
- Maintain easily accessible and well-organized pleadings files for all active cases
- Set up and maintain coherent storage system for inactive cases
- Set up and maintain general reference files (e.g., attorney-fee research, case-referral database, etc.)
- Set up and maintain press files for individual cases and/or strategic campaigns
- Conduct preliminary case inquiry, including factual research, analysis, and organization of relevant information and preparation of written report Provide support for client coalitions by maintaining websites, and tracking political and regulatory developments
- Help coordinate and represent Earthjustice at community outreach events and public hearings
- Assist attorneys with preparation of presentations for board members, donors, client groups
- Coordinate with Senior Research and Policy Analyst/Advocacy Representative and Policy Advocate in Sacramento on various projects.
- Coordinate with Communications Department to maintain up-to-date docket information for the office. Conduct research and report findings, including research related to Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion goals and projects.
Administrative Support (40%):
- Operate all basic office equipment (computers, printers, postage meter, fax machines, copier, scanner, etc.) and perform minor trouble-shooting
- Provide technical assistance to staff regarding word processing and e-mail software
- Provide back-up to Office Manager
- Make travel arrangements for office staff
- Set up and coordinate conference calls, meetings, etc.
- Submit reimbursement forms on behalf of staff
- Track office expenses and submit receipts to Office Manager
- Represent office’s interests in communications with Headquarters regarding case-management procedures and business practices
- Monitor and order office supplies
- Conduct IT and new hire orientation for law clerks and externs
- Bachelor’s degree and/or paralegal studies certificate
- Advanced word processing skills
- Ability to prioritize, multi-task and work well under deadline pressure
- Excellent organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail
- Self-motivated and able to work independently without supervision
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Basic knowledge of office equipment
- Good problem solver
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Interest in and knowledge of environmental issues highly desired, but not necessary
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits. Earthjustice is an equal opportunity employer and highly values diversity. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are provided with equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
We offer a mission- and employee-focused work environment and a competitive compensation package, including excellent benefits.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Using the Jobvite application tool, please submit:
- One- or two-page cover letter that addresses at least the following subjects: (1) why you are drawn to Earthjustice’s mission and whether there are particular legal, environmental, or justice issues that inspire you; and (2) aspects of your background that demonstrate competence to work with diverse clients and colleagues.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the position is filled. We would like the successful candidate to begin work no later than July 5, 2018.
Please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.