600 Means Street Northwest
Points of Light – the world’s largest organization dedicated to volunteer service – mobilizes millions of people to take action that is changing the world. Through affiliates in 250 cities and partnerships with thousands of nonprofits and corporations, Points of Light engages 5 million volunteers in 20 million hours of service each year. We bring the power of people to bear where it’s needed most. For more information, go to www.pointsoflight.org.
Reports to: Vice President, Corporate Partnerships
The Director of Development will organize and deploy Points of Light’s resources to broaden and deepen support from corporate partners and national and community foundations and pursue substantial annual and capacity-building revenue goals through partnerships, sponsorships, grants and other engagement opportunities. The Director will develop an overall fundraising plan and work collaboratively with other development staff members and across departments in executing cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship activities. This position fuels the organization’s capacity to ignite a new spirit of service and civic engagement across the world.
Position Functions and Responsibilities include:
- Developing an annual fundraising plan for corporate and foundation partnerships with specific and measureable goals;
- Achieving designated fundraising goals and ensuring resources and internal operations are in place to achieve success;
- Leading prospect identification and pipeline management: research and qualification, cultivation, solicitation and stewardship activities designed to grow the overall portfolio and increase revenue;
- Growing and managing a portfolio of high-level relationships, including direct and frequent communication with corporate and foundation representatives, travel and visits, and engagement of partners and potential partners within a wide range of program partnerships and opportunities; and
- Leading cross-functional teams in the facilitation of project design and execution of complex grant cultivation cycles.
Core Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- A track record of successful engagement with national and global corporate funders and foundations as demonstrated through executed partnerships and grants, ranging from structuring partnerships and planning grants through activation of highly impactful programs;
- Previous experience in positions leading collegial and highly collaborative global projects and fundraising opportunities, including programmatic experience and a demonstrated ability to co-create and articulate global programs and impact;
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills; ability to infuse creativity, innovation and insight into prospect cultivation and proposal development;
- Demonstrated passion for Points of Light’s mission, goals and work;
- A high degree of personal initiative with the desire and ability to meet aggressive revenue goals;
- Demonstrated ability to operate in a flexible, entrepreneurial, fast-paced, and opportunistic environment; and
- Highly collaborative style; positive attitude; commitment to continuous improvement and strong work ethic grounded in honesty and integrity.
- Education: Bachelor’s degree
- Experience: Five to seven years’ development experience with demonstrated success in securing both philanthropic gifts and sponsorships
- Working Conditions: Ability and willingness to travel up to 15 hours
Culture and Values: Points of Light has a 25 year history that it seeks to honor, while looking toward the future as an innovative thought leader in the volunteer sector. We have a fast-paced, collaborative environment, working across three offices in Atlanta, New York City and Washington DC. Our organization values innovation, dedication, teamwork and respectfulness.
We enjoy thinking big, but also working hard to deliver our best work. Our team is solution-oriented, looking for someone who is always ready to deliver on ways to solve challenges, both internally and with external partners.
What We Offer: Competitive compensation and excellent benefits including a robust PTO program: 18 days of PTO, 11 Holidays, plus we are closed for a week in December! Medical, dental, and vision benefits offered, free life insurance and short-term disability, and a 403b program with employer match.
Minimum Education Required