253 South Street
HAMILTON-MADISON HOUSE IS SEEKING A
DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT & COMMUNICATIONS
Application Deadline: September 15, 2018
About Hamilton-Madison House
Hamilton-Madison House is a nonprofit settlement house dedicated to improving the quality of life of its community, primarily the Two Bridges/Chinatown area of Manhattan's Lower East Side. The House provides a wide range of programs and services designed to enhance the quality of life for all residents of the Two Bridges/Chinatown area and throughout New York City’s five boroughs, including childcare, youth development, senior services, behavioral health, and immigrant and community services. More information on Hamilton-Madison House can be found at www.hamiltonmadisonhouse.org.
The Director of Development and Communications (DDC) will collaborate with the Executive Director and Board of Directors to raise the profile of and funding for Hamilton-Madison House. The DDC will create, implement, and monitor a fundraising strategy focused on private funding sources (with a goal of increase of 500K each year). The DDC will also create and manage various forms of communication to the public. This person will report directly to the Executive Director and function as a key member of the House’s management team. Specific responsibilities include:
§ Help create annual fundraising goals that align with and support the House’s overall organizational goals and mission. Develop and implement fundraising strategies to ensure the success of our fundraising goals.
§ Develop and manage a base of individual donors by developing strong relationships with existing donors and securing new individual donations.
§ Manage the development and execution of special events that raise the profile of the House and engage current and potential donors.
§ In collaboration with program staff and grant-writing consultants, ensure that proposals and reports to private institutional funders are well-written, accurate, and conform to the House’s standards around branding and written communications.
- Develop and implement marketing and communications strategies that effectively promote the work of the House to a range of stakeholders through both printed and electronic media.
- Create, write, and edit press releases for House events and programs, as well as an annual report. Respond promptly to press inquiries.
- Oversee content creation on the House’s website and develop and implement the House’s social media strategy.
- Lead the content development of all House marketing materials and collaborate with consultants/vendors on the design and production of these materials.
- Ensure consistency in all external communications.
Skills and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of five years of development/communications experience with nonprofit organizations. Experience with human service organizations is a plus.
- Genuine interest in helping impoverished New Yorkers.
§ Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
§ Demonstrates the highest ethical standards at all times.
§ Ability to collaborate with staff across the organization as well as the House’s Board of Directors.
- Energetic self-starter with an entrepreneurial bent.
- Ability to handle and prioritize multiple tasks and work independently under deadline.
§ Experience with social media in an organizational setting is a plus.
§ Knowledge of any of the House’s program areas and/or client population is also a plus.
Hamilton-Madison House is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Minimum Education Required