110 Maryland Ave, NE
District of Columbia
The Institute for College Access & Success (TICAS) is a nonpartisan, nonprofit research and policy organization based in Washington, D.C., and Oakland, California, and is seeking a Communications Associate to join our team. TICAS works to improve educational opportunity and outcomes so that more students complete meaningful postsecondary credentials, and we are widely respected for our expertise on financial aid and student debt issues.
TICAS is a trusted and reliable source of research, analysis, and up-to-the-minute policy developments for a wide variety of reporters covering student debt and higher education, and the Communications Associate will join the fast-paced team whose work resulted in nearly 4,500 national, state and local media citations last year. An ideal candidate has an entrepreneurial spirit, a deep commitment to our mission, impeccable attention to detail, and strong written and oral communication skills. The Communications Associate will report to the Oakland-based Communications Director. Washington D.C.-based candidates are preferred, though candidates in the Oakland area will also be considered.
· Conduct daily news search for relevant articles, assemble and distribute news clips. Maintain master file of news clips and generate clip counts for grant reports.
· Field incoming inquiries from reporters and work with other TICAS staff to answer requests quickly and accurately. Assist with the scheduling of press interviews.
· Maintain press lists and help strengthen relationships with key reporters and news outlets. Assist with press outreach plans.
· Update and maintain various TICAS websites, and assist in the redesign of the TICAS web site.
· Assist in the editing and distribution of press releases and other publications.
· Assist in the design and execution of a new social media strategy.
· Help shape and execute strategies and tactics for pursuing communications goals.
Qualifications and Skills:
· At least one year of experience in communications, education policy, or a related field. BA preferred.
· Strong interpersonal communication and writing skills, including the ability to clearly express complex ideas
· Strong attention to detail and accuracy
· Ability to organize and manage competing priorities, tasks and deadlines
· Responsible for the quality and timeliness of their work
· Creative problem-solver
· Strong team player as well as individual contributor
· Flexible in response to change
· Knowledge of higher education and financial aid issues preferred
· PLUSES: Experience with Adobe Photoshop and InDesign, WordPress and/or Drupal, advocacy platforms such as CQ Engage, and fluency in Spanish.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Full benefits provided; compensation commensurate with experience and qualifications. TICAS is an equal opportunity employer. Interested candidates should send a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Communications Associate” in the subject line. In your cover letter, please discuss what draws you to TICAS’ mission and how you could help fulfill it.
No phone calls please. This position will remain open until filled. TICAS is an equal opportunity and at-will employer.