357 9th Street
The YMCA of Greater New York is here for all New Yorkers — to empower youth, improve health, and strengthen community. Founded in 1852, today the Y serves a diverse population of more than half a million New Yorkers who learn, grow, and thrive through programs and services at our 24 branches. Community is the cornerstone of the Y. Together, we connect active, engaged New Yorkers to build stronger communities.
The Prospect Park YMCA is seeking a Building Engineer to provide leadership to the overall management and maintenance of the Prospect Park YMCA buildings and property, including off-sites. The Building Engineer will maintain all mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems throughout the facility to ensure a safe, hazard-free environment. This position will also ensure that the building has required operating certificates, and required recordkeeping is maintained. The Building Engineer assists in the preparation of payroll, purchase orders, invoicing, receiving and procurement of building supplies and materials.
- Monitor and oversee daily building operation of the heating, electric and fire safety systems.
- Supervise and assist, as needed, with all contracted services for cleaning, maintenance and facility upgrade projects.
- Maintain mechanical systems. Make sure that heating, pools, life safety equipment, plumbing, electrical, ventilation, HVAC system are all in good working condition.
- Maintain a preventive maintenance program to repair, replace and upgrade systems, as needed.
- Maintain records and reports for energy conservation and consumption reports, preventative maintenance records, and fire safety logs.
- Recommend major building equipment purchases.
- Maintain an organized, effective system to ensure a prompt response to repair and maintenance requests.
- Assist in implementing an Energy Conservation Plan to include lighting and control replacements.
- Assist in supervising outside contractors, in-house construction projects, capital improvements, and deferred maintenance projects.
- Assist in developing in-house training on fire safety, pool maintenance and housekeeping practices.
- Implement rules and regulations to ensure the safety of members and staff, according to risk management guidelines.
- Assist in designating staff and schedule to meet the operational needs of the Branch.
- Respond to emergency situations at the Branch, as needed, and implement the emergency evacuation plan, if applicable.
- Maintain positive relationships with members, staff and vendors. Show members, colleagues and outside vendors respect by listening carefully and showing empathy when dealing with a difficult situation.
- Actively participate in training sessions, designated meetings and special events.
- High School diploma or equivalent; college preferred.
- Minimum of three years of experience in building operations.
- Knowledge of NYC Electrical, Plumbing and Fire Protection System Codes, energy conservation, building construction and management, burners, boilers and pools.
- AED / CPR and First Aid certifications.
- FDNY certifications including Supervision of Storage and Handling of Corrosives and Oxidizers (C42), Citywide Sprinkler Systems (S12), Citywide Standpipe System (S13), and Supervision of Fire Alarm Systems and Other Related Systems (S95).
- Pool Operator Certification.
- Knowledge of HVAC, plumbing, painting, and carpentry.
- Excellent hospitality skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication skills.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
We offer an exciting and innovative work environment with a culture committed to serving all members of our community. As a leading not-for-profit, community service organization, our Association relies heavily on fundraising to support the wide range of programs we proudly provide the communities we serve. Our expectation is that all staff promotes participation of their branch fundraising efforts in some capacity. If you would like to be a member of our dynamic team, please forward your cover letter and resume with subject line “Building Engineer” to firstname.lastname@example.org or to:
Prospect Park YMCA
Attn.: Shakila Monk
357 Ninth Street
Brooklyn, NY 11215
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER ♦ DRUGFREE WORKPLACE
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities
New York City’s YMCA | WE’RE HERE FOR GOOD.