ABOUT THE POSITION: The Counselor is responsible for milieu management while engaging clients in a direct social service program. Time is divided among direct service, operations, and administrative responsibilities to ensure the efficient and effective operation of the program. Duties include client engagement, intake, assessment, advocacy, information and referral, problem solving and crisis intervention, in addition to meal preparation, laundry, and light janitorial assignments. This is a unionized position, represented by Local 8 of the Office and Professional Employees International Union (OPEIU).
ABOUT THE PROGRAM: Hammond House Women’s Shelter provides a safe, warm place to sleep for 50 homeless women. Guests are served dinner and breakfast, and have access to case management and support services. Hammond House operates by a housing first model, designed to assist women as they transition to permanent housing. Access to Hammond House is by referral only through the Women’s Referral Center.
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION: Compass Housing Alliance develops and provides essential services and affordable housing for homeless and low-income people in the greater Puget Sound region. We envision a world in which every person lives in a safe and caring community. We recognize the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to the organization. To learn more about the agency visit www.compasshousingalliance.org.
LOCATION: Hammond House Women’s Shelter near Greenlake
REPORTS TO: Program Coordinator
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
SCHEDULE #1: Full-Time Wednesday, Thursday, Saturday & Sunday 11:30pm-8pm with staff meetings every other Wednesday 3-5pm
SCHEDULE #2: Full-Time Tuesday-Saturday 5pm-12am with staff meetings every other Wednesday 3-5pm
SCHEDULE #3: Part-Time Monday & Friday 11:30pm-8am, with staff meetings every other Wednesday 3-5pm
SALARY RANGE: $15.76 per hour
Level of Language Proficiency
- An Associate’s degree is strongly desired, Bachelor’s degree preferred in social work or related field. Or relevant work experience, certificate and/or equivalent continuing professional development or education
- A minimum of 1-year experience in customer service, required.
- At least 1-year experience in human services (work and/or volunteer), desired.
- Familiarity with issues of homelessness, mental illness, chemical dependency, sexual assault, and/or domestic violence, desired.
- Experience working with clients with English as a second language or where there is limited English speaking ability
Minimum Education Required