Details: $13.25 hourly
646 Malcom X Boulevard
New York City Mission Society helps children, youth, and families in New York City’s poorest neighborhoods transcend the ills of poverty and create a cycle of success for generations to come. We have a dynamic portfolio of education, workforce development, prevention, and youth development and community-building programs.
Title: Youth Worker, Power Academy After-School Program
Basic Function: Facilitate implementation of program activities for a group of elementary school-aged after-school participants while creating a nurturing environment that fosters the creativity and educational advancement of the children.
Location: Various locations in Harlem and the Bronx (please indicate preferred location, if any)
Hours: Part-time: 15 - 20 hours per week, September through June
New York City Mission Society’s Power Academy is an after-school program dedicated to cultivating the personal growth and educational advancement of all of our elementary school aged participants. With a curriculum focused on academic enrichment, community service, cultural enrichment, the arts, recreation, and character education, Power Academy reinforces school-day learning in a safe and healthy environment. Programming is provided after school, on school holidays, and during the summer.
· Create a supportive and nurturing environment for students.
- Accountable for the safety and well-being of students at all times.
· Supervise and monitor students during all program activities and transitions on-site and off-site.
- Collaborate with Group Leaders to facilitate academic enrichment programming for their group.
- Provide one-on-one homework help.
- Provide age-appropriate activities according to the program activity schedule.
- Collaborate with Group Leaders in preparing lesson plans, materials, and hand-outs for program activities.
- Assist Group Leaders in keeping accurate records on attendance, sign-out, accidents, and incident reports.
- Interact with and report to parents on a daily basis at dismissal.
- Create and coordinate student performances.
- Attend team and group supervision meetings.
- Interact with teachers and school leadership team.
- Attend professional development trainings as required by the agency and program contract.
- Other duties as assigned.
· Minimum high school diploma or equivalent, or substantial experience working with children (elementary or middle school aged). If high school diploma or equivalent has been obtained, experience with children is still preferred though not required.
· Associate’s Degree or college credits preferred.
· Must have strong interest in working with children.
· Must have the ability to work collaboratively with a wide range of program and school staff.
· Must have excellent communication (written and verbal), interpersonal, organizational, and administrative skills.
· Experience overseeing a group of young people preferred.
General Requirements: All staff are expected to be committed to the mission, vision, and values of Mission Society.
Minimum Education Required