MANHATTAN BEACH EDUCATION FOUNDATION & ENDOWMENT
OBJECTIVE: The Executive Director will provide vision and direction, demonstrate passion for the mission; communicate respect and compassion for stakeholders; exemplify excellence, and instill trust. S/he will lead fund development, grantmaking and community partnerships.
Executive Director reports to the MBEF and Endowment Presidents and the 33-member Board of Directors.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILTIES
· Work closely with the MBEF Presidents(s), Officers, General Board, Committees, and volunteers to create, communicate, and implement the organization's vision, mission, and overall direction
· Work with the Board of Directors to develop and implement organizational Strategic Plan that guides the direction of the business or organization, maintaining awareness of both the external and internal competitive landscape, need for change and opportunities for growth
· Lead the development, grantmaking and implementation of the overall organization's strategy
· Serve as the primary voice of the organization- at schools, orientations, community and donor engagement activities.
· Recruit, train, inspire, engage and retain staff and volunteers to fulfill MBEF and the Endowment’s Mission
· Serve as the primary liaison with the Manhattan Beach Unified School District, Administrators and School Board and City of Manhattan Beach Administration and Council
· Demonstrate the leadership necessary to make the organization's mission a success. This leadership includes providing leadership vision, the ability to navigate difficult challenges, and the ability to bring together stakeholders with differing opinions
· Engage and facilitate board participation- working with each board committee (Grants, Strategic Planning, Fund Development, Nominating/ Board Development)
· Provide leadership and oversight of all staff functions and responsibilities, including preparation and maintenance of a systemic flow of task responsibilities. Responsible for recommendations to the MBEF Board regarding hiring, evaluation, and compensation of staff and contractors
· Develop and maintain relationships with state and local representatives, to advocate for additional funding for our district
· Oversee office operations and administration
· Ensure the confidentiality and safekeeping of all foundation records
· In conjunction with Treasurer, Officers and committees, develop and administer MBEF budget
· Within guidelines established by MBEF Board and Executive Board, select vendors and negotiate contracts for services and materials as necessary to support the activities of the Foundation.
· Develop and maintain relationships with other educational foundations in the local area, state and the nation
· Work with the MBEF and Endowment Presidents in planning the agenda and materials for board meetings
· Initiate and assist in developing policy recommendations and in setting priorities
· Facilitate the recruitment and orientation of new board members
· Staff and engage board committees as appropriate
· Solicit advice and guidance, when appropriate, from Board of Directors
· Work with the Director of Development to guide the development and execution of the Annual Appeal to ensure timely implementation and maximum effectiveness measured by the total dollars raised and percentage participation. Establish and create campaign strategy, timelines, communications, and events.
· Support team to implement Wine Auction and stewardship events throughout the year
· Build and maintain relationships with corporate partners, community leaders, real estate partners and lead donors
· In conjunction with the Endowment Board President and the Development Committee, direct the development and implementation of an Endowment campaign; establish and create campaign strategy, timelines, communications, and events
· Engage Board of Directors in fund development activities
· Direct the development and execution of donor stewardship in which donors receive invitations for stewardship events and Newsletters and communications that are unrelated to fundraising
· Oversee the staff involved in planning and executing all business and real estate sponsorship and community outreach campaigns and activities
· Work with the Board Grantmaking Committee and Board of Directors to assess and propose grants each year.
· Survey parents and teachers every other year to assess priorities, and to ensure that our grants are aligned with stakeholder needs.
· Meet with Principals and Administrators to assess MBEF funded programs and determine if grantmaking goals are met.
· Evaluate the success of the projects funded based on the criteria set by the Grants Committee to ensure that objectives are met.
· Develop, recommend, and monitor annual and event budgets
· Ensure compliance with funding sources and regulatory requirements
· Develop and administer operational policies
· Manage and provide support for annual independent audit
· Provide for proper fiscal record-keeping and reporting
· Review monthly financial statements to the board of directors
· Evaluate organizational success in terms of revenue generated, and cost management (financial, human effort, volunteer effort.)
· Direct the development of communications intended for MBEF constituents, including but not limited to the Annual Report/ Honor Roll of donors, web site, electronic newsletter, social media, media relations, and other communications vehicles as appropriate to further the mission of the Foundation. Direct with the Director of Communications/Marketing. Collaborate with and lead the VP of Communications
· Maintain clear and open lines of communication between the MBEF Board, staff, PTA/PTSA leadership, administration, principals and teachers and the community
· Serve as chief liaison with specific community groups
· Ensure appropriate representation of MBEF by all employees
· Coordinate representation of MBEF to MBUSD, school board and other groups.
· Representing the organization for civic and professional association responsibilities and activities in the local community, the state, and at the national level.
Stewardship and Events
· Work with staff and volunteers to ensure the success of the Manhattan Wine Auction, Golf Tournament and 5-8 other donor stewardship and educational events throughout the year
· Plan and implement events for Endowment donor stewardship
· Review results and make recommendations for continued growth and coordination between events
· Ability to identify and implement best practices in not for profit management
· Ability to identify and advocate for best practices in education
· Ability to have a cooperative influence working with the foundation along with external constituencies including PTA, MBUSD Administration and Board, City of Manhattan Beach Council and professional leadership, and other aligned organizations such as MBX.
· Donor database knowledge
· Microsoft Office/ Excel/ Word/ Powerpoint
· Facebook/ Social Media
· Demonstrated passion for Education
· Commitment to the Manhattan Beach Community
· Commitment to MBUSD having gone to the schools yourself and/or children in the district
· A “connector” and “collector” of people
· Articulate advocate
· Excellent communication skills
· Skilled/seasoned Manageren
· Comfortable with “asking” for gifts, time and resources
· Ability to recruit employees, board members and other resources
· 7+ years experience in nonprofits or with social entrepreneur business, currently in a senior leadership role
· 7+ years development experience, including annual campaigns, major gifts, planned gifts and corporate sponsorships, currently in a senior leadership role
· 10+ years in management roles
· B.A. degree preferred; graduate degree or certification valued in relevant field of study
· Education and not for profit management background both preferred, at least one required
· Demonstrated success in working with boards and committees
· Demonstrated success in working with school districts, government entities or quasi-governmental agencies
· Professional training coursework in fundraising, nonprofit management and Human Resources
Minimum Education Required