New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is to empower everyone, of all ages and abilities—beginners and competitive athletes, the young and the elderly, adult professionals and underserved schoolchildren—to improve their health and well-being through the power of running and fitness.
NYRR’s races, community events, instruction and training resources, and youth programs give hundreds of thousands of people each year the motivation, know-how, and opportunity to start running and keep running for life. NYRR’s premier event, the famed TCS New York City Marathon, attracts the world’s top pro runners and committed amateurs alike while also raising millions of dollars annually for charity and driving economic impact for the City. But NYRR is equally committed to the runners of tomorrow, passionately providing youth fitness programs that educate and inspire more than 100,000 kids in underserved communities in New York City, all 50 states, and around the world.
Headquartered in New York City, NYRR implements a unique nonprofit model that teams contributed and earned income to make all its efforts possible. To learn more, please visit www.nyrr.org.
New York Road Runners is an Equal Opportunity Employer
About the Department
The Youth & Community Program team oversees a variety of programs that offer the running community opportunities to actively support NYRR's mission to help and inspire people through running. These programs include Rising New York Road Runners for youth, Striders for seniors, Run for the Future for high school young women and Open Run -- a free community run/walk program open to everyone across 20 parks with more than 5,000 participants. This program is a community-led model where up to 200 volunteers in local parks are critical to support operations and the participant experience.
About the Position
This position will report to the Head of Community Programs with the core responsibility of managing and supporting daily operations of NYRR Open Run including managing logistical and technology needs for weekly run/walks, recruiting and engaging volunteers, growing participation at parks, support participants and community organizations, and reporting. This role also requires cross-departmental alignment with our marketing, technology, and events departments.
Job Responsibilities (primary and secondary duties):
· Oversee the return of Open Run (paused during the pandemic) and explore the opening of potential sites in the tri-state area.
· Act as a liaison to city or state agencies, specifically NYC/NJ Parks Departments, to coordinate weekly field operations of Open Run, including securing permits and following park regulations.
· Build and implement year-round timelines, workflows, training and process documents to formalize the operations of the program.
· Establish and execute programming across all Open Run sites including themed runs/walks.
· Attend community and local events in NYRR Open Run neighborhoods to promote the program.
· Manage implementation of all COVID-19 safety protocols to ensure the safety of Open Run stakeholders – staff, participants, and volunteers.
· Oversee maintenance of timing and run/walk results reporting, and responsible for timing/attendance system maintenance with app developers and participant account management
· Manage and maintain equipment needs at all sites, including iPad inventory, PPE supplies and program signage.
· Recruit, support and engage almost 140 Volunteer Run Captains including the RTRT system used at the weekly run/walks to automate participant registration and start/finish timing.
· Manage and ensure alignment of external communications strategies to participants and volunteers across social and email channels.
· Manage all systems and workflows, ensuring operational efficiencies, both internal and external
· Work closely with the NYRR Marketing Team to develop a comprehensive year-long marketing strategy designed to grow participation and share community stories.
· Work with Open Run Associates to identify community leaders and other stakeholders that will help build the NYRR Open Run community and participation.
· Collaborate with the Strategy & Operations team on alignment with NYRR Open Run Theory of Change model, program evaluation activities, and reporting needs.
· Collaborate with Merchandise and Warehouse on incentive ordering, distribution, and fulfillment.
· Support annual program budget development, re-projections and monitor all expenses and orders.
Supervisory Duties and Responsibilities
· Directly manage three part-time team Open Run Associates in program operations for all current sites.
· Oversee the recruitment and retention of approximately 140 Volunteer Captains and 60+ volunteers in collaboration with PT NYRR Open Run Associates.
· Effectively manage employee performance through communication of expectations and standards.
· Prepare performance appraisals. Work with next level management (senior leaders as applicable) when employee performance does not meet standards.
· Provide effective feedback and coaching to employees, including potential areas of improvement.
· Create goals for the team and individual employees, aligned with the organization’s strategy.
· Encourage an environment of transparency, support, development, and growth.
· Delegate and distribute tasks and responsibilities appropriately.
· Ensure employees and staff adhere to company policies and procedures.
· Make decisions based on best interest of organization.
· Track employee attendance, as applicable.
· Collaborate with Human Resources as support.
· Promote team culture that coincides with NYRR mission and core values.
• Travel to all current and potential park sites in NY, including outer boroughs, Long Island and NJ
• Work 1-2 weekends with likely extended hours as needed through 2021 as we bring park sites back and train volunteers.
• Minimum of 7 years of relative work experience, managing people/program required
• 5-8 years of community development or engagement experience required
• 5-8 years of direct management of projects, staff budgets and program grants required
• Knowledge of NYC and Outer Boroughs required
• Event planning and social media skills are preferred
• Experience with Salesforce and Mailchimp preferred
Education & Certifications:
• Undergraduate degree preferred
• CPR/First Aid/AED Certification required or willingness to obtain
• U.S. Center for SafeSport Certification required or willingness to obtain
Skills and Attributes:
• Proficient in Microsoft Office Suite (Teams. Word, Excel, Power Point, Outlook)
• Strong attention to detail
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Comfortable working with diverse groups of people
• Works well under pressure and tight deadlines and demonstrate problem solving skills.
• Initiative to identify and offer suggestions for improvements or enhancements
• Must have strong leadership skills and the ability to work effectively in a collaborative team environment
• Driving License preferred
New York Road Runners was founded in 1958 when a small group of passionate runners vowed to bring running to the people and has grown from a local running club to the world’s premier community running organization. NYRR’s mission is…