About Trickle Up
Trickle Up goes further to create breakthrough opportunities for the world’s poorest people. We have been working for more than forty years to help resourceful but marginalized people start and run profitable businesses. Our unique approach helps people in poverty turn their passion into profit so they can build better lives for themselves. We focus on reaching vulnerable people that others leave behind—women, indigenous people, refugees, and people with disabilities. Our dedicated staff comes from all over the world. We have teams based in Guatemala, Uganda, and India, so we are always close to the communities we serve.
Visit www.trickleup.org for more information.
The Technical Assistance Specialist provides technical support to Trickle Up Refugee Affairs partners, including NGOs, governments, and large institutions, to help persons of concern move out of extreme poverty and into self-reliance. The successful candidate will provide in-depth and tailored technical assistance and training to lead and facilitate the design, adaptation, and implementation of Graduation and livelihoods programs in humanitarian settings (and potentially broader livelihood aspects in the development sphere). This position will also support the development and management of relationships with key strategic partners and contribute to business development efforts.
Technical assistance related to Graduation design and implementation for programs serving persons of concern
- Serve as a technical lead for the provision of high quality in-person and remote technical assistance to non-governmental organizations, governments, large institutions, and implementing of Livelihoods and Graduation in refugee contexts. Manage and support TA initiatives to enable quality program design, targeting implementation, and monitoring
- Identify technical assistance opportunities and lead the strategic development of high-quality technical tools and processes to inform clients’ and Trickle Up’s work
- Lead or co-lead field assessments for clients, including the development of high-quality tools, facilitation of field activities with relevant stakeholders, data analysis, preparation and facilitation of associated workshops, and subsequent reporting
Develop and lead high-quality training for Graduation and livelihoods programs serving persons of concern
- Lead high quality in-person and remote training for governments, large institutions, and non-governmental organizations implementing Graduation and livelihoods programming in humanitarian contexts
- Utilize applied learning techniques to lead the design of high quality and innovative training curricula, tools, and other materials to support partner institutions
- Prepare activity reports
- Other program management activities, as determined
Support Trickle Up’s knowledge management and technical assistance community of practice
- Contribute to Trickle Up’s global knowledge management efforts to ensure the collection and use of lessons learned and good practices to support the delivery of quality TA, internal learning, and external communications.
Business development and relationship management
- Foster and manage key relationships with strategic partners
- Contribute to, and represent Trickle Up’s technical work to, the Graduation Community of Practice, as needed
- Support the cultivation of new technical assistance partners
- Contribute to the development of concept notes and technical proposals
- Represent Trickle Up with external partners at workshops, trainings, and other external events
- Other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Requirements
- Master’s degree in social sciences, international development, or a related field.
- At least 5 years of experience in international development, livelihood development, or relevant field with
- At least 4 years of experience in program design and management for international economic strengthening project(s)
- At least 3 years of experience in technical assistance or capacity building, including designing and leading capacity building and training initiatives
- At least 3 years of experience in sustainable livelihoods, economic strengthening, and economic development targeting extremely poor populations
- Experience and interest in humanitarian work, ideally with a focus on refugees and other persons of concern
- Experience with the Graduation Approach (Preferred).
- Experience in developing, adapting, and capacity building on key aspects for reaching and responding to the needs of people living in extreme poverty, including targeting, context assessments, and coaching/mentoring of participants
- Experience contributing to grant proposals or concept notes
- Experience working in large-scale donor or host government-led programs
Knowledge and Skills
- Livelihoods approaches for vulnerable populations
- Graduation Approach adapted for persons of concern
- Technical assistance for large institutions, government organizations, and NGOs
- Expertise in capacity building, training, and curriculum development
- Relationship development and management
- Exceptional ability in written and oral communications and presentation skills
- Responsible, dedicated, independent worker with demonstrated leadership ability
- Proven ability to meet targets and deadlines
- Highly organized and analytical thinker
- Self-starter with strong initiative
- Proactive and creative problem-solver with demonstrated flexibility and ability to be productive under pressure
- Demonstrated ability to be an effective team player
- Cross-cultural sensitivity with exceptional interpersonal and diplomacy skills
- Native or bilingual fluency in English and professional fluency in French.
- Ability to travel internationally about 40% of the time, occasionally to remote areas, at short notice, and/or in areas with safety and security issues. Currently, most international and domestic travel is on pause as a result of the pandemic and will resume only when it is determined that travel risks can and have been minimized.
Compensation and Benefits
As this is a full-time position, we offer a competitive salary and complete benefits program, including comprehensive, affordable health care through medical, dental, and vision coverage; financial security with life and disability insurance; opportunities to save using flexible spending accounts; retirement benefits to help prepare for the future; and work/life benefits to help you maintain a good balance.
To be considered, click the “Apply for this Position” button, and follow the instructions to upload your cover letter and resume. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis until November 20, 2020. Incomplete applications will not be accepted. Candidates must be qualified to work in the United States. We are sorry we are unable to entertain phone calls related to this posting.
Trickle Up is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We value a diverse workforce and extend equal opportunity to all applicants and employees regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, sexual orientation, veteran status, disability, or any other status protected by law. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable people with disabilities to perform essential job functions.