Part Time Temporary
1065 Avenue of the Americas
Bryant Park Corporation and 34th Street Partnership seek seasonal, part-time Public Programming Assistants (PPAs) to work at free public events. PPAs work under the supervision of program managers to ensure successful event execution. Events and programs the PPAs can expect to assist with include: Bryant Park Summer Film Festival; literary events; music and theater performances; as well as classes in language, fencing, fly fishing, yoga and fitness, and more.
Public Programming Assistants must be energetic and assertive, enjoy working extensively outdoors, and be passionate about the public events and activities hosted in Bryant Park, Herald Square Park, Greeley Square Park, and Plaza33.
Public Programming Assistants can expect to work a range of irregular shifts as the parks’ robust event schedules dictate. The position is expected to suit those with part-time class schedules, or those looking to supplement a part-time job. Ideal applicants are college graduates or students with an open and flexible schedule, or with consistent morning, evening, and/or weekend availability.
Applicants must be available to work from early May through September (exact dates are flexible). Training will take place in early May – if hired, PPAs will be expected to make themselves available.
Compensation is $13 per hour. Assistants may work anywhere between 10 - 30 hours per week, depending on how personal availability and the event schedule overlap.
This is an excellent opportunity to gain valuable event production experience by working for two organizations that are dedicated to making New York City safer, cleaner, more beautiful, and more engaging. The PPA Program also offers opportunities for professional development, to allow participants to develop skills and knowledge relevant to the event planning and public space management fields.
Public Programming Assistants are expected to uphold the mission of creating a rich and dynamic cultural, visual, and intellectual outdoor experience for New Yorkers and visitors alike in some of the greatest public spaces in the world.
- Execute public programs and activities in the parks, including equipment setup, communication with instructors and/or performers, and supervision of the event
- Interact with partners and serve as a representative from the companies
- Serve as a park ambassador and interact with visitors politely and patiently
- Troubleshoot logistical event issues and manage accordingly
- Coordinate with other park staff for event setup and breakdown
- Document events by taking photos and conducting attendance counts
- Occasionally work at the onsite pop-up Park Shop & Info tent, giving out information and selling park merchandise
- Prepare timely reports on event execution to event managers
- Prepare materials for upcoming events, including informational signage and programs
- Administrative duties, including data entry, as needed and as scheduling allows
- Four-year college degree preferred
- Flexibility to work non-traditional/irregular hours – must be available evenings and weekends for most of May - September
- Responsible, proactive, mature, and outgoing
- Possess strong communication and observational skills
- Possess a “no job too small” attitude
- Ability to maintain high energy and friendly attitude throughout entire shift
- Ability and willingness to work outdoors in most weather conditions
- Ability to take direction, but also problem-solve individually as needed
- Ability to lift 20 pounds regularly and 50 pounds occasionally, and stay on feet for extended periods of time
- Experience in event planning, staffing, retail and/or customer service preferred
- Interest in event planning, production, recreation, and/or public space management
Interested candidates should email email@example.com with “Public Programming Assistant” and your name in the subject line. In the body of the email, include a cover letter expressing your unique qualifications and interests. Attach your resume in .doc or .pdf format. Phone calls and office visits will NOT be accepted. Due to number of applications, we will only be contacting applicants with whom we wish to move forward.
Bryant Park Corporation / 34th Street Partnership
1065 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10018
-Staff discount at park shop and kiosks
-Free coffee in office
Level of Language Proficiency
-Other languages are useful but not required, as the park is visited by many tourists
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should email firstname.lastname@example.org with "Public Programming Assistant" and your name in the subject line. In the body of the email, include a cover letter expressing your unique qualifications and interests. Attach your resume in .doc or .pdf format. Phone calls and office visits will NOT be accepted. Due to number of applications, we will only contact applicants with whom we wish to move forward.