110 Cooper Street
The Sr. Director of Legal & Strategy oversees the activities of the organization's legal, risk management and strategic partnership formation work. This role will provide advice to the Board, senior management, and staff regarding legal, risk and strategic implications for the organization in the areas of governance, compliance, organizational partnerships, market research, regulatory requirements, intellectual property management, and other priority areas. The Sr. Director of Legal & Strategy will also represent NTC externally with strategic partners in the field including funders, nonprofits, districts, CMOs and other key leaders in the field. The responsibilities of this role involve strong cross-functional collaboration with all function leaders at NTC including program, product/innovation, marketing & external affairs, and operations.
Responsibilities & Essential Functions
The following is an overview of the duties and responsibilities assigned to this position. Other duties may be required.
- Bring legal issues and concerns to senior management and work with management to respond appropriately.
- Provide counsel and advice regarding compliance with federal and state statutes affecting NTC.
- Represent NTC in strategic partnership planning, structuring, and formation of long-term agreements
- Serve as cross-functional liaison and assist with planning cross-functional projects such as open source sharing of intellectual property
- Research & leverage funding streams and internal and potentially external consultation to advance NTC's work at the national, state, and local levels in partnership with program leaders at NTC Conduct and/or oversee market research as needed to support the advancement of NTC's strategic initiatives
- Manage, coordinate, and advise on special projects as determined by management
- Oversee all aspects (the preparation, review, and negotiation) of the contract & RFP management including execution of contract agreements related to all NTC activities with clients, vendors, partners, employees and independent contractors.
- Provide advice on issues relating to contract, employment, intellectual property, governance and nonprofit law. Work with and advise senior management on developing, revising, and interpreting internal policies.
- Oversee and manage the creation of a process and criteria for vetting organizational partnerships including a current landscape analysis in priority areas and mapping of current partnerships and opportunities
- Review grant agreements for compliance with legal requirements.
- Draft and maintain appropriate organizational templates for contracts, grants, and other legal documents as needed. Work with outside attorneys who possess specialized expertise as needed.
- Participate in continuing legal education through membership in the State and local bar association, and stay abreast of new and relevant legal issues for NTC.
- Lead and report on various compliance expectations, develop and execute plans to ensure operational effectiveness in alignment with best practices, involving other departments and teams as needed.
- Represent NTC as needed in external meetings, conferences, and communications
**Remote based position. SF Bay Area candidates preferred.
- Bachelors degree and Juris Doctor required
- 5-10 years experience preferred Admission to California Bar Association Knowledge of education field preferred
- Exemplary written and verbal communication skills Ability to engage variety of stakeholders internally and externally and build consensus and partnership
- Strong equity lens and social justice commitment
- Outstanding interpersonal, facilitation, and presentation skills Demonstrate strong ability to work well both independently and with colleagues and senior management
- Demonstrated ability to independently research legal and field-relevant issues and document findingsStrong organizational skills, with outstanding attention to detail
- Strong track record of project management
- Strategic, analytical approach combined with interpersonal professionalism
Minimum Education Required