ABOUT ONESTAR FOUNDATION
OneStar’s mission is to strengthen Texas communities by creating pathways for individuals and organizations to engage, connect, and accelerate their impact. For over four decades there has been an acknowledgment by the State of Texas of the critical importance of civic engagement and volunteering to the strength of our communities. From the creation of the Texas Center for Volunteer Action in 1976 to the formation of its eventual successor, OneStar Foundation in 2004, Texas has maintained its support of a strong nonprofit sector.
Today, OneStar carries out its mission for state government as a supporting nonprofit of the Office of the Governor. We serve as the state’s Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives and the State Service Commission, managing a portfolio of approximately $18.8 million in federal grant funds for AmeriCorps Texas programs. OneStar focuses on strengthening the nonprofit sector, encouraging civic engagement through service and volunteering, promoting innovative strategies to address local issues, and facilitating public-private partnerships to expand the reach of the sector.
OneStar is recognized statewide as an advocate for service and volunteering a statewide voice for the nonprofit sector and a respected partner to foundations, state agencies, and the business community. Together, we are One Texas, united in building resilient and thriving communities.
At OneStar, we are committed to be an exemplary employer, where our employees are our greatest asset. OneStar believes we should model the leadership we hope to see in our communities by embracing a culture and values based on adaptability & learning, diversity, equity & inclusion, partnerships & shared purpose, transparency & trust, and always doing our best work for our fellow Texans.
OneStar Foundation seeks to fill the full-time position of Program Specialist, Nonprofit Strong. This position supports the development and implementation of OneStar Foundation’s programs that strengthen the statewide nonprofit sector. Primary functions include, but are not limited to, coordinating and supporting OneStar’s Nonprofit Strong program. The Nonprofit Strong program strengthens the nonprofit sector to ensure that organizations have the knowledge, resources, and networks to effectively address priority issues for local communities. Current program activities include the annual Texas Nonprofit Summit and other nonprofit education programs, Texas Faith-Based and Community Initiative, and facilitation of strategic collaboratives and networks, such as the Nonprofit Management Alliance of Texas. The Program Specialist, Nonprofit Strong position reports to the Director of Community Affairs and performs moderately complex program and partnership relations work under general supervision with moderate latitude for the use of initiative and independent judgment.
The successful candidate will be a self-motivated, hands-on, organized professional with a positive, can-do attitude. They must have a commitment to equity and enjoy the challenges and rigors of a growing and evolving service-oriented organization. They must enjoy working with a variety of organizations, from large state agencies to faith-based and small grassroots community organizations. Flexibility, focus and commitment to the goals of the organization will be critical.
- Provides day-to-day support to OneStar’s Nonprofit Strong program activities in alignment with the OneStar Mission, Vision, and strategic plan.
- Performs an array of technical, training, research, planning, policy, program assessment, and administrative activities related to OneStar’s Nonprofit Strong programming.
- Coordinates and collaborates with OneStar staff in program planning, development, implementation, analysis, and documentation of relevant program(s).
- Coordinates and supports the planning of meetings, trainings, and events for the Nonprofit Strong program.
- Conducts and supports outreach efforts to build relationships with nonprofits, prospective funders, faith-based groups, and state government agencies who may be interested in collaborating with OneStar’s Nonprofit Strong initiatives.
- Supports the organization and planning of the annual Texas Nonprofit Summit.
- Collects and analyzes data, communicates data to stakeholders, and assists with preparation of relevant reports.
- Regularly reviews Nonprofit Strong program area functions and operations, identifies areas needing change, and develops recommendations to improve programs or to address areas of concern.
- Plans, facilitates, and represents OneStar at meetings, conferences, trainings, and/or other events with nonprofit leaders, staff, and other stakeholders, including making remarks or presentations.
- Collects, organizes, analyzes, and/or prepares materials in response to requests for program information and reports.
- Contribute to the development of program policies, procedures, standards, and manuals in accordance with program goals and objectives.
- Evaluates research findings relative to OneStar’s mission and the Texas nonprofit sector.
- Regularly reports progress on approved project work plans and budgets and contributes to the development of the OneStar budget and agency work plans.
- Contributes to OneStar's thought leadership efforts by writing content for publications, newsletters, website, social media, and other online resources.
- May work in coordination with Communication Officer to implement strategies that ensure the marketing of Nonprofit Strong programs and services reaches a broad and appropriate constituency.
- May analyze legislation to develop recommendations for policy and programmatic issues relating to the implementation, improvement, and/or expansion of OneStar’s Nonprofit Strong programs.
- May train, lead, and/or prioritize the work of others.
- May be assigned to cross-functional teams to support OneStar goals and initiatives.
- Performs related work as assigned consistent with current duties and responsibilities.
- Minimum of three years of relevant work experience in the nonprofit sector, private philanthropy, or government is required; more than five years of relevant work experience is preferred.
- Understanding and commitment to OneStar’s mission and strategies and to all its programs and initiatives.
- Understanding and commitment to OneStar’s Core Beliefs.
- Awareness of trends and best practices in the nonprofit sector is preferred.
- Experience working with nonprofit organizations is preferred, including faith-based and other grassroots community organizations, and/or other social service sector organizations.
- Must thrive in a work environment of significant growth, development, and change.
- Willing to travel in Texas, and occasionally to other states (not expected to exceed 10% of time).
- Graduation from an accredited university with major coursework in a relevant field (equivalent work experience may be substituted for this requirement).
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Experience working in the nonprofit sector is preferred.
- Knowledge of best practices in nonprofit capacity building and network collaboration is preferred.
- Ability to research, interpret, apply, and communicate complex regulations, provisions, policies and procedures.
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing; to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions; to analyze complex information and develop plans to address identified issues; and to effectively demonstrate negotiation and facilitation skills.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, draw valid conclusions, and provide recommendations.
- Intellectual curiosity, creativity, high-energy, persistent, quick study, positive attitude.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet multiple deadlines with excellent time management and organizational skills, detail oriented, and the ability to work both independently with general supervision and as part of a project team.
- Ability to think strategically in relationship building and partnership development.
- A strong passion for supporting organizations with diverse community driven missions, and an ability to work with a variety of organization types (faith-based and community organizations, state/local governments, colleges/universities).
- Ability to effectively provide trainings in small and large group settings both in-person and electronically.
- Excellent time management and organizational skills, detail oriented, and the ability to work both independently with moderate supervision and as part of a project team.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to lead teams where appropriate.
- Comfort in working respectfully with persons of diverse faith backgrounds.
- Ability to relate to, and engender trust with people of different ages, races, ethnicity, and socioeconomic status.
- Thorough knowledge of Microsoft Office products.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks simultaneously and meet multiple deadlines.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in making critical decisions; to analyze complex information and effectively communicate it to others.
- Strong interpersonal skills to develop and maintain cooperative, professional, and productive work relationships with others.
EOE. OneStar Foundation is an equal employment opportunity employer. OneStar prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type and affords equal employment opportunities to employees and applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, age, national origin, disability status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. OneStar conforms to the spirit as well as to the letter of all applicable laws and regulations.
It is the policy of OneStar Foundation to comply with all the relevant and applicable provisions of the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). OneStar will not discriminate against any qualified employee or job applicant with respect to any terms, privileges, or conditions of employment, because of a person's physical or mental disability. OneStar will also make reasonable accommodation wherever necessary for all employees or applicants with disabilities, provided that the individual is otherwise qualified to safely perform the essential duties and assignments connected with the job and provided that any accommodations made do not impose an undue hardship on OneStar.