1414 Northeast 42nd Street
NBR, a nonprofit organization, is seeking an Accounting Assistant to support the Senior Accounting Manager with all aspects of the accounts payable processes and its disbursements, and other day-to-day accounting and bookkeeping functions. This position is full-time (30-40 hours/week), hourly, and non-exempt, and reports to the Senior Accounting Manager. This position is temporary, but there is possibility for a longer-term opportunity.
NBR conducts advanced independent research on strategic, political, economic, globalization, energy, and health issues affecting U.S. relations with Asia. Drawing upon an extensive network of the world's leading specialists and leveraging the latest technology, NBR bridges the academic, business, and policy arenas. NBR disseminates its research through briefings, publications, conferences, Congressional testimony, and email forums, and by collaborating with leading institutions worldwide.
- Preparing accounts payable for payment by checking the accuracy and propriety of all invoices and verifying that they have been approved by authorized personnel and have adequate support documentation
- Preparing monthly transaction and project reports
- Processing contractual payments and maintaining records of contractual payments
- Processing reimbursements
- Maintaining invoice and expense records
- Answering inquiries from vendors concerning invoice payment status and resolving issues with unpaid invoices
- Preparing 1099s
- Preparing employee timecards on a monthly basis
- Other duties as necessary
- 1-3 years of professional accounting experience is required, specifically in accounts payable, bookkeeping, and nonprofit/fund accounting
- Accounting or related degree is preferred
- Hands-on QuickBooks experience
- Excellent organizational abilities, including the ability to multi-task and meet deadlines
- Passion for details and accuracy and a desire to produce a quality work product
- Strong problem-solving skills and good judgement
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with staff and vendors, translating accounting speak into layman’s terms
- Integrity and discretion
The deadline for applications is Sunday, December 2. To apply, submit the following materials through NBR's employment site (https://nbr.applicantpro.com/jobs/):
- Cover letter: The cover letter should explain your qualifications and interest in the position and NBR, and when you would be available to begin work
- Three references: Name, title, affiliation, relationship to you, contact info (email and phone)
Tests will be given to applicants at the interview stage. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Sick leave, partial transportation coverage
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent English language proficiency, verbal and written, is required.
Minimum Education Required