1776 Eye Street, NW
The Nuclear Threat Initiative needs a new communications manager for our communications team. If you are creative and an excellent writer…if you enjoy crafting policy-related content for social media…if you sweat the details and care about international security… if you want to make a difference, we want to meet you.
NTI works to protect our lives, environment, and quality of life now and for future generations. We work to prevent catastrophic attacks with weapons of mass destruction and disruption (WMDD)—nuclear, biological, radiological, chemical, and cyber. Founded in 2001 by former U.S. Senator Sam Nunn and philanthropist Ted Turner who continue to serve as co-chairs, NTI is guided by a prestigious, international board of directors. Ernest J. Moniz serves as chief executive officer and co-chair; Des Browne is vice chair; and Joan Rohlfing serves as president.
NTI designs and implements innovative projects with partners around the world to directly reduce threats and to build momentum and support for action on a larger scale. The Communications team provides strategic and tactical support, including social media, websites, publications, events, and public education campaigns.
BA in policy, journalism, communications or related field. 2-3 years of experience in communications, social media, writing materials for distribution, use of content management systems, and database management. Background or demonstrated interest in international affairs, national security and/or nuclear policy is a plus. Skills we are looking for include photo editing, website CMS, contact database management/CRM (Salesforce), plus a sense of humor!
Communications and Outreach
- Track media coverage and assist in producing daily clips.
- Manage social media calendar and strategy, and develop content for platforms including Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn
- Help draft, produce and distribute NTI’s email newsletter
- Help project manage the development of communications materials to produce final print or electronic materials, such as news releases, brochures, annual report
- Aid in planning and executing NTI seminars, media roundtables, board meetings, and other events.
- Assist with strategic planning for outreach initiatives.
Website Management and Digital Analytics
- Help keep NTI’s website up-to-date by posting new content, updating existing content, managing a library of photos for web and social media use
- Help produce reports on email newsletter performance, social media performance and the website, under the direction of the Director of Digital Communications
- Provide input and ideas for NTI’s online presence
NTI Salesforce Database
- Develop thorough understanding of NTI database to support communications activities
- Help manage NTI institutional lists
The above is intended to describe the general content of and requirements for the performance of this job. It is not construed as an exhaustive statement of essential functions, responsibilities or requirements.
Minimum Education Required