New York Cares
Every year, through New York Cares, 64,000 people volunteer to help improve the lives of hundreds of thousands of fellow New Yorkers. Our volunteers provide essential services to improve education, meet immediate needs, and revitalize the city’s public spaces.
New York Cares prides itself on a culture of excellence, defined by integrity, reliability and professionalism. We have been awarded The New York Times Nonprofit Excellence Award, which recognizes outstanding management practices, and the Peter F. Drucker Award for Nonprofit Innovation. The Non-Profit Times, Crain’s New York, The Princeton Review and The Wall Street Journal have all recognized New York Cares as a top-notch employer.
Each year, New York Cares works with over 100 community partners, including homeless shelters, schools and nonprofit organizations, to provide holiday gifts for children, teens, and seniors living in poverty, many of whom would not otherwise receive gifts during the holiday season. To accomplish this, New York Cares collects and screens more than 35,000 gift requests and sends them to volunteers who purchase, wrap, and send the gifts to our partners. This year marks the 30th Anniversary of the Winter Wishes Program.
Corporate Volunteer Engagement
New York Cares creates customized corporate volunteer events for approximately 150 corporate sponsors throughout the year. Each of these events engage between 10 and 200 corporate volunteers in service, and are designed to meet pressing community needs at sites across New York City. The projects range from the revitalization of New York City parks, gardens, and schools, to children’s field trips and in-classroom education and recreation activities, and provide valuable resources and experiences where they are needed most.
Reporting to the Officer of School Success and Family Programs, this position is responsible for two main functions:
1) Launching and executing the New York Cares annual Winter Wishes program, and
2) Planning and executing corporate volunteer engagement events, with a focus on strengthening schools through academic and enrichment opportunities for students.
The successful candidate will:
- Manage the design, implementation, and evaluation of the New York Cares Winter Wishes program, including community outreach, partner and volunteer recruitment and training, budget and expense management, planning and facilitation of letter reading and screening projects, evaluation and program debrief
- Plan and staff volunteer projects for corporate volunteer groups
- Cultivate and maintain relationships with key partner agencies and corporate sponsors
- Manage multiple project budgets
- Other responsibilities as assigned
Volunteer projects, trainings, and events occasionally take place during non-business hours, requiring the Program Manager to work several evenings and multiple weekend days per year.
- Bachelor’s degree or minimum of two years’ work experience at a not-for-profit organization;
- Excellent leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills;
- Strong administrative and organizational skills, with a close attention to detail and an ability to multi-task;
- Exceptional systems thinking and problem-solving skills;
- Ability to work effectively both independently and as a member of a team;
- General knowledge of MS Office, specifically Excel, and comfort learning new database systems;
- Knowledge of Salesforce a plus; and
- Capable of lifting/carrying supplies and equipment weight up to 35 pounds for events.
Starting salary ranges from the mid- to high- $30ks. We provide excellent benefits including comprehensive health insurance, 403(b) employer matching contributions, life insurance, and ample paid time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please submit a cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the title of the position in the subject line. New York Cares is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Peace Corps & AmeriCorps alumni are encouraged to apply.