Youth and Education Services Support Staff
- Job posted by Native American Youth and Family Center (NAYA)
Details: $13.00 per hour, DOE
5135 NE Columbia Blvd.
Position: Youth & Education Services (YES) Support Staff
Department/Program: Youth & Education Services Department; Learning Center Program
Compensation: Starts at $13.00 hourly or commensurate with experience
Benefits: There are no benefits associated with this position
Employment Status: Temporary (limited duration, not to exceed 1,000 hours, Part-Time, Non-Exempt
Hours: General working hours are 1:30pm – 7:00pm Monday through Thursday
and 12:30pm – 4:30pm Friday; evenings and occasional weekends, as assigned; 25 hours per week (approx.); full time employment available and requested during Spring Break and Summer camps (approx. 6 weeks per year)
The Youth & Education Services (YES) Support Staff supports students participating in NAYA’s Learning Center services by both fostering their academic growth as well as transporting them to and from the site. The YES Support Staff assists students with completing school assignments, preparing for tests, and improving their reading, writing, and math competencies in the Learning Center. The YES Support Staff also works with youth in Cultural Arts classes and other enrichment activities including spring and summer camps. The Learning Center has a computer lab, internet access, and a small library and is available to self-identified Native American youth (throughout Multnomah County school districts) Monday through Thursday from 2:30 to 6:00pm. The YES Support Staff is also responsible for transporting youth from their school(s) to NAYA Family Center and transporting them home.
· Provide academic support and mentoring to Learning Center participants, including:
o Engaging youth participation in the NAYA Learning Center by providing after school tutoring
o Assisting youth with the completion of individual homework assignments
o Coordinating with staff to assess and support the youth (e.g. academic, social, and cultural)
o Planning and participating in the special activities for youth (as directed by supervisor)
· Provide transportation support to Learning Center participants, including:
o Coordinating and providing safe transportation of students attending programming activities as assigned (including field trips and special trips)
o Completing vehicle and fuel logs in accordance with NAYA Family Center policy
o Conducting vehicle inspections to ensure safety on a weekly basis and maintain assigned vehicle(s) in a clean and functional condition (both inside and outside, including refueling)
· Other duties as assigned by Learning Center Coordinator and Director of Youth and Education Services
o Understand and adhere to confidentiality
o Coordinate wraparound services effectively with other NAYA Family Center programs and staff
o Input data, and maintain NAYA and/or contractually required information database systems to track client information
§ Includes entering client data, assisting and/or preparing periodic reports
§ Database examples include but are not limited to: Efforts to Outcome (ETO), Counselor Max, SAGE Fund Accounting, Raisers Edge, etc.
o Participate in trainings and/or meetings to ensure program outcomes are achieved
o Represent NAYA with the utmost professionalism at community events and other public relations opportunities
o Work as an active member of departmental team
o Participate actively in cross-departmental team projects
o Contribute to fostering a safe and secure environment for community members and staff
Education & Training:
· High School Diploma or equivalent required
· Associate’s Degree or higher preferred
o A combination of equivalent education and experience may be an acceptable substitute
· Knowledge of Native American history, an understanding of the diversity of the local American Indian/Alaskan Native community and issues surrounding the Urban Indian experience required
· Experience working within diverse populations (specifically with the urban and reservation Native American population, including working within a tribe, board, or other organization) strongly preferred
· Six (6) months or more of experience providing academic support and/or mentoring services preferred
· Ability to deal with different people and situations appropriately, including effective communication with people from diverse backgrounds
· Communication skills, active listening, verbal and written, including public presentation skills
· Proficient computer skills including:
o Web-based research
o Word Processing
o MS Excel
o Database use
Work Environment: 65% office/classroom, 35% outside office including travel time.
· Lifting a maximum of 30 pounds, sitting for extended periods of time.
· The employee may be required to sit for extended periods of time.
· Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Equipment Used: Computer, phone, fax, copy machine.
Safety Considerations: Some travel may be required.
1. Valid Oregon or Washington State Driver License (must be eligible to be an insured driver under NAYA Family Center’s liability insurance policy)
2. Successful completion of a background investigation (including a fingerprint criminal history check)
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Interested candidates should submit:
1. A Cover Letter addressing your qualifications for the position and why you are interested in joining the NAYA Family Center team
2. A current Resume
3. A completed NAYA Application for Employment Form
Application forms and additional information about employment at NAYA Family Center can be found at http://www.nayapdx.org/about/jobs.
Application Deadline: Open until filled; Applications will be reviewed beginning June 18
Attention: Incomplete applications will not be considered. Electronically submitted applications are preferred. Due to the sheer number applicants, only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Please respect our no phone calls policy. This job description does not constitute an employment agreement and is subject to change by the employer due to changes in grants and funding sources.
Please send application materials to:
Attn: Human Resources
Native American Youth and Family Center
5135 NE Columbia Boulevard
Portland, OR 97218
Fax: (503) 288-1260