1805 7th Street Northwest
District of Columbia
Summary of Position
Teaching Lab is seeking a Director of Math Content Design to support our new work with math curricula and create curriculum-specific professional learning content modules to support teacher-led cycles of inquiry. This work will initially focus on the Illustrative Mathematics curriculum but may expand to additional standards-aligned curricula over time.
The Director of Math Content Design will drive towards an understanding of three essential questions for Teaching Lab:
1. How will Teaching Lab adopt its model to mathematics more and what changes will need to be made? How will cycles of inquiry target components of Common Core-aligned mathematics instruction?
2. How will Teaching Lab build upon the Illustrative Math (or similar standards-aligned) curriculum to create engaging, high-impact professional learning experiences for teachers?
3. How will Teaching Lab increasingly incorporate the “heart” component into professional learning design over time?
The Director of Math Content Design will also be involved in supporting facilitation and/or leading professional development sessions. The role may, depending on the interest of the candidate, also include some client support and/or business development efforts.
Eligible candidates must have deep expertise in teaching, professional learning, curriculum, and the Common Core State Standards in the content area of mathematics. Ideal candidates will have the unique combination of intellectual depth and skill in managing teams and projects. Above all, any candidate must have a demonstrated commitment to educational equity.
The Director of Math will be a key member of the organization’s program team, tasked with implementing and iterating on the organization’s core program. As a rapidly growing nonprofit, we seek an entrepreneurial team member excited about building a team and an organization from the ground up. This position has high potential for both large-scale impact and career growth as Teaching Lab scales.
Content Development (60% time)
· Support creation of curriculum-specific professional learning content modules to support teacher-led cycles of inquiry in math (with an initial focus on Illustrative Mathematics), with a focus on the inquiry questions outlined above
· Planning and managing large-scale content development projects
· Manage consultants or other team members to produce additional content
· Collaborate with high-quality curriculum publishers
· Collaborate with field sites to determine best application of Teaching Lab model to specific math curriculum
· Develop expertise in research on curriculum, instruction, and professional learning
Facilitation & Content Delivery Support (30% time)
· Help develop & lead training for Teaching Lab facilitators
· Support facilitation of professional learning sessions in districts and schools (requires travel) and occasionally lead facilitation
· Supporting training and coaching of local Lab Leaders (teacher-leaders of PL) and the Teaching Lab team to ensure alignment between design and delivery (primarily virtual)
Client Support & Business Development (up to 10% time)
· Support math clients & sitework team members with troubleshooting and major challenges
· Collaborate with team members to support business development efforts (depending on candidate interest)
Who You Are
Core Candidate Attributes
Teaching Lab team members bring both relevant experience and commitment to shared values and norms.
- Commitment to Teaching Lab’s mission and educational equity
- Bachelor’s degree and minimum seven years working experience, including a minimum of three year of successful teaching experience with students from underserved backgrounds
- Full-time experience leading and designing professional learning
- Extensive experience with Common Core Math Standards
- Experience with implementation of high-quality, standards-aligned mathematics curricula
- Proven ability to define program objectives, establish metrics, monitor and evaluate progress, and manage projects independently through a complete life cycle
- · Excellent communication and interpersonal skills for both internal team collaboration and external movement-building
- Experience with implementation of Illustrative Mathematics (highly preferred)
- Experience with community organizing or teacher leadership efforts
This position requires work-related travel (15-20%) based on organizational needs, capacity, and season.
We are committed to building a sustainable organization. We love our work and want to be able to do it for years to come. This means that despite the pace and intensity of a startup organization, we commit to maintaining a balance between work and other parts of our lives.
To Learn More
Read about our work in the Aspen Institute report, Practice What You Teach (pg. 9-11) and visit www.teachinglab.org
Please submit your resume and a cover letter in PDF format to email@example.com with the subject line: “Director of Math Content Design Candidate: [First Name Last Name]” (e.g., “Director of Math Content Design Candidate: Angela Smith”).
Minimum Education Required