ROC-UNITED’s Chief Financial Officer (CFO) and Operations Director
- Job posted by Restaurant Opportunities Centers United
275 Seventh Avenue, Suite 1703
ABOUT ROC UNITED
Founded initially after September 11th, 2001, the Restaurant Opportunities Centers United (ROC-United has grown into a national organization with over 33,000 low-wage restaurant worker members in ten locations and growing rapidly.
Since January 2008 we have launched affiliates in the Bay Area, Boston, New York, New Orleans, Miami, Michigan, Chicago, Houston, Philadelphia, Los Angeles, New Mexico, Seattle, Massachusetts, and Washington, DC. In each region, we conduct workplace justice campaigns, partner with 'high road' restaurants to conduct advance restaurant workforce development programs and collaborate with local academics and other allies to produce comprehensive participatory research and policy initiatives. Nationally, we organize convenings of restaurant workers, Congressional briefings, public fora, and more. In these ways, ROC continues to build power and voice for low-wage restaurant workers at the local, state, and federal levels.
Over the last sixteen years, we have won more than ten workplace justice campaigns, winning more than $10 million in misappropriated tips and wages and discrimination payments for low-wage workers, and significant policy changes in high-profile fine dining restaurant companies covering thousands of workers. We have partnered with more than 100 responsible restaurant owners to promote the 'high road' to profitability and trained more than 5,000 restaurant workers to advance to livable wage jobs within the industry. We have also published thirty ground-breaking reports on the restaurant industry, obtaining significant media coverage, played an instrumental role in winning a statewide minimum wage increase and paid sick days for tipped workers, and initiated other policy campaigns at the local, state, and federal level. We are currently building a movement to advance and win “One Fair Wage” Campaigns (OFW) in several states throughout the country.
We are looking for a dedicated Chief Operating Officer to lead our rapidly expanding Finance and Operations Team.
It will be important if you are good at:
● Building relationships with a diverse set of people and finding and learning the unique skills and talents that they could contribute to the team.
● You are an amazing communicator both orally and in written form.
● Taking responsibility for your work and will think of creative ways to surmount obstacles.
● Working independently and don’t need needling to accomplish your goals but love Team work.
● Using quantitative information to judge and assess your success and ways to improve performance.
Financial Accounting and Reporting
● Develop and maintain timely and accurate financial statements and reports that are appropriate for development use.
● Develop, implement, and ensure compliance with internal financial and accounting policies and procedures.
● Ensure that all statutory requirements of the organization are met including Charitable Status, Withholding Payments, State Tax, Goods and Services Tax, Workman compensation, disability in all related states etc.
● Prepare all supporting information for the annual audit and liaise with the Executive Director, the external auditor and a legal tax lawyer if necessary.
● Document and maintain complete and accurate supporting information for all financial transactions.
● Develop and maintain financial accounting systems for cash management, accounts payable (bills), accounts receivable (grants and all incomes), and petty cash.
● Reconcile bank accounts (monthly which ties to updating cash flow forecast).
● Review monthly expense report and implement monthly variance reporting.
● Manage the cash flow and prepare cash flow forecasts for Senior Leadership Team.
● Oversee the bookkeeping function including maintenance of the general ledger, accounts payable, accounts receivable and payroll. (Knowledge of MIP Sage recommended)
● Manage the acquisition of capital assets and ensure that assets are properly recorded, amortized, and disposed of as appropriate (tracking all new equipment and organization property).
● Prepare annual charitable return in a timely manner as appropriate (990 and CHAR 500 reports).
● Prepare all supporting information for the annual audit of the C4 and be familiar with our COLORS restaurants chart of accounts.
Payroll Preparation and administration
● Oversee all payroll functions to ensure that employees are paid in a timely and accurate manner.
● Negotiate and manage the employee insurance and benefits plans.
● Establish guidelines for budget and forecast preparation, and prepare the annual budget in consultation with the Senior Leadership Team
● Assist Program Directors and Development Assistants with the preparation of budgets for funding applications and reporting requirements.
● Develop grants and program allocation budgets
● Develop a schedule of functional expense and employees time allocation per program.
Project Management accounting
● Maintain financial records for each project in a manner that facilitates grant reports.
● Ensure that accurate and timely financial statements are prepared in accordance with contract agreements with funders.
● Plan and execute all logistics for ROCUNITED convening and meetings.
● Provide accurate and timely reporting on the financial activity of individual projects.
● Monitor risk management policies and procedures to ensure that program and organizational risks are minimized by monitoring critical renewal deadlines.
● Negotiate and maintain insurance coverage for the organization and the Board of Directors
Healthcare and dental for the salaried employee.
Minimum Education Required