Building Service 32BJ Benefit Funds is the umbrella organization responsible for administering Health, Training, Pension, Retirement Savings, and Legal Services benefits to Local 32BJ members. The Benefit Funds' office is located in New York City, with satellite offices in New Jersey, Connecticut and Washington, DC.
Responsible for assisting in managing the financial affairs of a group of related Multi-Employer (Taft-Hartley) Benefit Funds; a thorough knowledge of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles for Multi-Employer (Taft-Hartley) Benefit Funds is highly desired. Prepares financial analyses including interim and final financial statements. Manages a team of 6-7 general accounting professionals providing vision, direction, and support. Visible role collaborating and building relationships with relevant professionals throughout organization. The position reports to the Controller.
Manage and execute a range of related functions in the following areas:
- As a senior leadership member of the organization, the Assistant Controller will demonstrate functional expertise in Accounting and related competencies (analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills)
- Develops, analyzes, and interprets statistical and accounting information in order to appraise operating results in terms of net assets available for benefits, performance against budget, and other matters bearing on the fiscal soundness and operating effectiveness of the organization
- Assists with the management of the Funds’ financial plans, policies and accounting practices
- Oversees Cash Management i.e review cash forecast of various funds, coordinating with Investment Managers, Banks & Custodians on funding requests
- Coordinates & is responsible for review of monthly, quarterly, and year-end Financial Statement preparation and review of Work Papers supporting the statement
- Reviews various analysis i.e., bank reconciliation, investment analysis, fixed assets, prepaid expenses, assets, accruals, lease obligations, and administrative expenses
Accounting and Taxes:
- Maintains the Funds’ system of accounts and keeps books and records on all transactions and assets based on monthly and yearly closing schedules
- Maintains General Ledger & the library of AccPac Financial Statements, updating and modifying as necessary
- Coordinates annual audits & related tax filings
- Perform any other relevant, related or pertinent work or duties as requested or assigned by the Controller; assist in the month end closing and financial reporting process including account analysis and reconciliation
Personnel and Operations:
- Supervises Accounting Department Staff i.e., Supervisors (Accounts Payable or Payroll), Senior Accountants, Staff Accountants, and Analysts; hands-on Manager providing direction, support and vision in an ever-changing moving environment. Evaluates the performance of personnel in the Accounting Department; recommends training requirements and personnel decisions
- Experience with staff evaluations and performance feedback
- Responsible for managing operational data and ensuring data integrity and accuracy
- Responsible for managing system hardware and software applications
- Provides technical systems support to company owned locations and franchisees
- Develops operational procedures and documentation of data flow
- Develops system controls to ensure data integrity
- Liaison with point-of-sale, accounting software, and other system vendors and consultants
- Assist in key roles i.e., project manager etc. on for any system implementation; assist in special projects as necessary
- 7-10 years of related Accounting experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Strong experience leading, managing and developing Accounting/Finance teams consisting of professionals at different levels – i.e., Staff Accountants, Senior Accountants/Analysts; Payroll or Accounts Payable Supervisors, or Manager, Accounting Managers, etc.
- Non-profit experience preferred; Taft-Hartley Fund experience is a plus.
- Solid experience performing monthly financial statements, reporting, budget development and analysis, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; Master's degree (M.B.A.) or equivalent is a plus
Skills, Character and Competencies:
- Analytical – Detail oriented professional able to synthesize complex or diverse information; Collects and researches data; Uses intuition and experience to complement data; Designs work flows and procedures.
- Teamwork/Collaboration - Balances team and individual responsibilities; Exhibits objectivity and openness to others' views; Gives and welcomes feedback; Contributes to building a positive team spirit; Puts success of team above own interests; Able to build morale and group commitments to goals and objectives; Supports everyone's efforts to succeed; Recognizes accomplishments of other team members; collaborates well with all individuals throughout organization
- Change Management – Comfortable with frequent change; Develops workable implementation plans; Communicates changes effectively; Builds commitment and overcomes resistance; Prepares and supports those affected by change; Monitors transition and evaluates results.
- Visionary Leadership – Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates; Exhibits confidence in self and others; Inspires and motivates others to perform well; Effectively influences actions and opinions of others; Inspires respect and trust; Accepts feedback from others; Provides vision and inspiration to peers and subordinates; Gives appropriate recognition to others; Displays passion and optimism; Mobilizes others to fulfill the vision. Ability to work with and influence people at all levels of the organization.
- Flexibility/Resourcefulness-Easily handles changes in work environment and meets challenges with resourcefulness, creatively solving problems and seeking out assistance when needed
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have extensive knowledge of Microsoft Word; Excel; Accounting software i.e., AccPac; ADP payroll systems and Explorer or Netscape internet software
Master’s degree (M.B.A.) or equivalent; or seven to ten years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Salary and Benefits are competitive and commensurate with experience.
Building Service 32BJ Benefit Funds is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Recruitment, hiring, promotions and other terms, conditions and privileges of employment shall be maintained in a manner which does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, creed, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender expression, marital status, physical or mental disability, veteran status, or military status, or in violation of any applicable Federal, state or local legislation.
Building Service 32BJ Benefit Funds has retained the services of BSBSearch. Please email a cover letter and resume in confidence to:
Barbara S. Brown