Details: Commensurate with experience
1441 Sansom Street
Due to expansion of our Finance/Accounting department, The Defender Association of Philadelphia is seeking a hands-on Controller. Responsibilities include management of all phases of agency accounting and reporting; issuance of monthly, quarterly and annual financial statements, cash management, and review and improvement of financial policies, processes, procedures and systems. At least 5+ years Non-profit experience, including preparation of 990's highly preferred.
Duties and Responsibilities:
· Monitor general ledger activity, ensuring entries are accurate and consistent, financial and investment accounts are reconciled and outstanding issues resolved on a timely basis.
· Oversee and approve the month-end close including regular month-end entries as well as adjusting entries and inter-company eliminating entries.
· Manage the accurate and timely dissemination of financial management reports including, but not limited to, internal and external financial statements, consolidating statements, and the annual budget.
· Support the CFO in all aspects of the financial audit.
· Oversee Accounts Receivable and activities to ensure the accurate and timely management of all Accounts Receivable aging components including billings and cash receipts application.
· Review daily cash flow requirements; ensure appropriate balances are available in operating and reserve accounts.
· Ensure the accurate and timely processing of accounts payable, expense reports and cash controls.
· Lead the production of the annual budget and ensure the SVP of Finance and CFO are adequately prepared to present the annual budget to the Board.
· Guide and support financial decisions by monitoring and enforcing policies and procedures; apply policies to all constituents in a consistent and equitable manner.
· Monitor systems and procedures for improvements. Maintain accounting system including software updates and system requirement in conjunction with IT.
· Oversee year-end close through the completion of annual audited consolidated financial statements and preparation of multiple Form 990s and related tax filings.
· Review tax reporting, state registrations and other regulatory reports. Consult and advise management on financial issues and compliance.
· Manage and motivate the current accounting staff to ensure that the staffing remains consistent with the required work load. Demonstrate appropriate and consistent behavior, providing guidance and general direction, establishing priorities and seeking out and providing education and development opportunities.
· Communicate effectively and diplomatically with all constituents with a dedication to providing high-level customer service.
The above list is not exhaustive, additional tasks may be assigned as necessary but are not a major function of the position.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
· Bachelor’s degree and CPA preferred, with 8-10 years experience.
· Must possess experience in the supervision of accounting staff.
· Must have experience in creating budgets.
· Strong knowledge of nonprofit financial reporting, audit and tax.
· Knowledge of accounting compliance and accounting standards.
· Strong accounting and analytical skills
· Detail oriented, highly organized with the ability to multi-task.
· Superior oral, written and interpersonal communication and presentation skills.
Fully paid health insurance--Keystone HMO (POS); 11 paid holidays; Vacation, Sick and Personal time, 403(b); Life Insurance policy; Long term and short term disability options
Minimum Education Required