Details: This full-time position offers a competitive wage based on experience, with a generous benefits package.
433 Chestnut Street
The Staff Accountant will provide accounting support to MACED’s programs and staff.
The Mountain Association for Community Economic Development (MACED) is a 42-year-old multi-strategy economic development organization that seeks to transition Eastern Kentucky’s economy into a just and sustainable post-coal future. We work with people and places in Central Appalachia and Kentucky to build a strong and diverse economy, increased family well-being, healthy and protected land, air and water, and an effective and accountable democracy.
MACED is a fast-paced, dynamic and growing organization with a 31-person staff that manages over $30 million in total assets. MACED seeks to make meaningful progress towards a Just Appalachian Transition through the following core strategies: 1) investing capital in local enterprises and communities, 2) demonstrating local-sector development ideas, 3) engaging in research, communications and advocacy for policy and narrative change, and 4) building entrepreneurial and leadership capacity.
Manage daily, weekly, monthly and yearly accounting and payroll operations
- Perform daily and weekly accounting tasks, including but not limited to keying, filing and routine credit card management.
- Perform duties in A/P and A/R.
- Perform semi-monthly payroll, including changes, benefits payments and payroll reporting to government agencies.
- Assist with preparation for auditors.
- Perform a variety of monthly tasks needed for preparation of financial statements.
- Prepare annual indirect expense budget.
- Maintain and implement document retention policy.
- Assists finance team on special projects as directed.
- Assist with continuous improvement of accounting policies and procedures.
- Participate in finance and student team meetings, planning processes and implementation of team work plans.
- Assist Portfolio Support Team with loan ACH payments and bank draws as needed.
- Assist with basic operations functions such as answering phone and door, equipment maintenance and trouble-shooting, guest services, mail distribution and opening and closing procedures.
- Manage inventory in coordination with Technology Manager.
- Maintain central grant files.
- Perform all other duties, as assigned.
- Practice safety in all aspects of the job.
Knowledge and experience
- Associate’s degree plus at least four years of related experience or six years of related experience.
- Willingness and ability to work successfully on a team with diverse members.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail with high product accuracy.
- Able to work on multiple projects at the same time with flexibility and graciousness.
- Ability to learn quickly.
- Demonstrated ability to function effectively in a busy office environment.
Technology and software
- Familiarity with computers, e-mail and use of Internet.
- Word-processing and spreadsheet skills.
- Experience with office systems.
- Good communication skills in person and on phone.
- Close vision with or without corrective lenses necessary for computer work.
- Able to access filing cabinets, mail boxes (six feet in height), kitchen cabinets (six feet in height) and traverse stairs to second floor office space.
- Able to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects up to 10 pounds.
- General office work involves sitting most of the time but includes walking or standing for brief periods.
- Able to perform assigned duties in a time-efficient manner.
- Manual dexterity needed to type and to operate and maintain office equipment.
- Valid driver’s license and ability to drive. Any employment offer is contingent upon applicant’s insurability on MACED’s group vehicle insurance policy.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business, office administration or related field plus at least two years of related experience.
- Familiarity with use and maintenance of office equipment.
- Interest in MACED’s mission and programs.
This full-time position offers a competitive wage based on experience, with a generous benefits package. The position is based in Berea, Kentucky. Berea is a beautiful, small college town, less than an hour south of Lexington, on the edge of the Appalachian region. MACED is an equal opportunity employer.
Minimum Education Required