The Ella Baker Center for Human Rights (“EBC”) is a nonprofit organization based in Oakland, CA, working to advance racial and economic justice to ensure dignity and opportunity for low-income people and people of color. In our 20 year history, we have worked on issues including jump starting the green jobs movement, promoting civic engagement, violence prevention through youth leadership, and transforming juvenile justice systems in California. We are currently working to end mass incarceration and mass criminalization in the United States through Truth and Reinvestment—moving resources away from failed criminal justice policies and into creating opportunities, also known as “books not bars, jobs not jails, healthcare not handcuffs.”
The Communications Associate is responsible for message development and media strategies that promote the work of the Ella Baker Center for Human Rights as a catalyst for social and economic justice.
The Communications Associate will report to the Communications Director. Work is generally performed in an office setting; however, duties may sometimes require working at external events with members and other organizations.
This is a full-time non-exempt position. May require some evenings and weekends as necessary.
- Working with and under the direction of the Director of Communications and organizing staff to execute public relations campaign strategies, social media marketing strategies, timelines and tactics to support our goals
- Write creative copy for a wide variety of platforms including, emails, social media, fact sheets, talking points, op-eds, and letters to the editor
- Manage Ella Baker Center social media accounts, website, email outreach and other digital platforms to promote our campaigns
- Work with media to frame our issues through writing press releases and other materials and conducting media outreach
- Collect and distribute news clips and media reports after media events
- Regularly update and maintain our membership database system, run reports and lists as needed
- Responding to media requests
- Assist on other communications projects as needed
- Strong commitment to social and economic justice
- Strong writing, verbal communication, editing and proofreading skills
- Ability to frame issues for different audiences
- Graphic design and/or production experience a plus
- Must be able to handle multiple projects simultaneously and meet established deadlines
- Proven commitment to and knowledge of issues relating to racial, economic, and gender justice
- Experience with Drupal, WordPress and/or equivalent platforms
- Experience with CRM databases, Salesforce preferred
- Previous experience in online organizing, political campaigns, and/or customer service very advantageous but not required
- Knowledge of trends of digital organizing, and of best practices for communicating via email, Facebook and Twitter
- Willingness to work with a team, as well as independently
- Have 2 years of experience in campaign communications, media relations, production management, marketing, writing or combination
ESSENTIAL JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- Needs to be able to move about inside the office to access file cabinets, office machinery, etc.
- Needs to be able to operate a computer for most of the working hours.
- This position needs to be able to use a telephone and communicate with the general public.
Individuals of color, LGBTQ identified individuals, individuals with past involvement in the justice system or who have loved ones currently or formerly in the justice system are strongly encouraged to apply.
We offer a competitive benefits package:
- Employer paid healthcare insurance which includes medical, dental, vision, chiropractor, and acupuncture
- Paid time off including vacation, sick, and holidays
- 401(k) plan with up to 3% employer match
- Commuter benefits
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in Spanish and English is highly desirable
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please submit a cover letter, resume, and 2 writing samples (including a press release, blog post, op-ed, or something similar)