[SY 21-22] After School PE Coach - Elementary- South Bronx
Originally founded in 1991 as Harlem RBI, DREAM has grown to annually serve more than 2,500 youth across East Harlem and the South Bronx through a network of six PreK-12, extended-day, extended-year DREAM Charter Schools and community sports-based youth development programs. Through our commitment to rigorous academics, social-emotional learning, deep family and community engagement, and health and wellness, we create lifelong learners who are equipped to fulfill their vision of success in and out of the classroom. We dream big, as well, with an aggressive five-year plan to expand to serve 3,500 students across seven schools—growing our organization's impact and leveling the playing field for all children. To learn more, visit wearedream.org.
Reporting to the Athletics, Health, and Wellness Manager, the REAL Kids Athletics Coach will be responsible for coordinating after school physical activity, with a specific focus on sports during after school. The Athletics Coach will support nutritional and wellness opportunities and implement the physical activity and nutrition program curriculum. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual with a passion for promoting healthy habits around fueling (eating), moving, and playing. The Athletics Coach will play an intricate role in keeping kids active directly and indirectly to increase motivation and keep kids' brains sharp and able to focus.
ROLE & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Lead a group of up to 18-20 youth in daily after-school sports activities and social-emotional learning through athletic activities;
- Facilitate or co-facilitate lessons to help youth build their social and emotional skills;
- Model and encourage positive participation in all activities, with a focus on team building;
- Model professionalism through consistent attendance, timeliness ?and preparation;
- Supervise and manage youth during all activities using positive youth development strategies;
- Participate in bi-weekly professional development and tactical training in addition to formal feedback and coaching.
- 1-2 years of athletics, health and wellness experience;
- NSCA-CPT certification preferred;
- Working towards a Bachelors of Science in Recreation or Recreational Sports Management, preferred;
- Exhibits high energy, warmth, enthusiasm and patience in working with youth;
- Demonstrated interest in assisting students develop motor skills through athletics;
- Strong written and verbal communication skills;
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with various stakeholders in a fast-paced environment;
- Excellent time-management skills: a self-starter who demonstrates initiative and follow-through;
- Experience in youth development preferred;
- Experience with behavior management systems, including positive youth development, preferred
- Ability to work collaboratively within a team setting.
- A strong belief in the mission and values of DREAM, including the belief that all students can succeed, and a deep desire to make a difference in the lives of our students, families, and community.
Location and Hours
- PS 18 - 502 Morris Avenue
September 13, 2021 - May 27, 2022
- DREAM Charter School (Mott Haven) - 411 Wales Avenue
September 13, 2021 - June 10, 2022
Monday-Thursday: 3:30pm-5:45pmFridays: 12:30pm-5:00pm
DREAM's VACCINATION POLICY
DREAM requires vaccination against COVID-19 for all employees. Reasonable Accommodations based on a qualifying disability or sincerely held religious belief are being considered in accordance with applicable law.
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY, EQUITY, AND INCLUSION
At DREAM, diversity, equity, and inclusion are a matter of mission.
From our schools to our playing fields, DREAM is committed to building a team where each individual can bring their full identity and experience to work because representation matters—it enriches our team culture, enhances our ability to innovate, and strengthens our impact in and out of the classroom. DREAM engages staff that represent and appreciate the diversity of our majority Black and Hispanic student body, while working to ensure that our practices are equitable, welcoming, and productive. We are dedicated to creating a world where youth, especially youth of color, have permission to dream—along with the tools and opportunities to make their dreams reality.
Come dream with us.
All Kids Can. This Kid Can.
DREAM is Family.
Fun is a Serious Value.
Teamwork Makes the DREAM Work.
Fail. Persist. Exceed.
<img src="https://www.click2apply.net/v/LYJ4oNIGVBYGSozdu56Aa" />