Exponent Philanthropy is a member-led community of lean funders—those who make grants with few or no staff—where foundation leaders and individuals turn to gain insight, share practices, and seek support in making decisions. Exponent Philanthropy connects them with answers, experts, and peers to create a community of fulfilled and, ultimately, more effective philanthropists. Our vibrant network represents all 50 states and a few international members that embrace a style of philanthropy motivated by personal passion, community need, and a strong desire for better outcomes.
In our team, we look for highly collegial, ethical, bright, and customer service-oriented individuals who have a commitment to quality work. Staff members are passionate about our mission and core values. They are driven by an entrepreneurial spirit and have a strong outcomes orientation. Our members come from all walks of life and so do we. We’re proud to hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our organization stronger. If you share our values and our enthusiasm, you will find a home at Exponent Philanthropy.
Position Overview: The Manager, Corporate and Foundation Relations, provides critical operational and strategic support for Exponent Philanthropy’s fundraising team. The successful Manager will be relationship-centered, goal-oriented, collaborative, and self-motivated.
Lead Generation and Prospect Research
- Proactively conducting research using internal and external resources to identify viable foundation and corporate prospects for support of the organization
- Manage pipeline of viable prospects, track progress, and make suggestions regarding outreach and relationship cultivation based on research
- Surface opportunities in target markets for longer term relationship building
Corporate Partner Operations
- Assist department director with implementing corporate partnerships program, including stewardship, renewal, and communications plans
- Draft corporate partnership agreements and conduct appropriate follow-up to ensure full execution
- Coordinate with relevant departments to clarify roles in implementing corporate partner agreement benefits and grant-related work
- Oversee corporate partner webpages, working with digital team on design, corporate partner visibility, and strategy to drive traffic to the site
Grant Writing and Reporting
- Seek out RFP opportunities that align with Exponent Philanthropy’s work
- Coordinate timely writing and submission of grant applications, reporting, donor acknowledgement letters, grant agreements, and other due diligence
Department Strategy and Management
- Collaborate with Director on short term goal-setting and longer term strategy
- Manage CEO’s portfolio of mid- and high-level donor relationships and inform outreach strategies
- Assist Director in managing development projects (using project management tool), to include assigning responsible staff, keeping team members abreast of deadlines and providing updates and progress reports during team meetings
- Manage Salesforce records to support all aspects of donor management process including data collection, entry and maintenance of donor and grant-related records to ensure accuracy of contact information and life cycle of grants
- Coordinate with various staff members to conduct timely reconciliation of revenue numbers and ensure accuracy of data and reporting
- Produce donor revenue reports as needed to inform organizational planning and provide revenue updates as needed
Exponent Philanthropy seeks to not only acquire top talent, but continuously develop and retain top talent. The ideal incumbent will possess proven experience, be committed to continuous learning, and motivated to take on challenges. The qualifications below have been identified to improve the likelihood of employee success, engagement, and satisfaction.
- Bachelor’s degree
- 3-5 years of experience in corporate and foundation relations work, prospect research, and fundraising operations
- OR an equivalent combination of education and experience
Additional criteria include:
- Experience with Salesforce required; Asana a plus
- Goal-orientation with strong attention to detail, as well as excellent writing, communication, and project management skills
- Strong ability to multi-task, manage time wisely, and maintain a high level of quality control
- Strong ability to both work independently and collaborate with others to achieve goals
- Effective customer service skills including the ability to interact positively with staff at all levels
- Willingness to learn about diversity, equity, and inclusion principles and practices, and participate in Exponent Philanthropy’s equity learning journey
- Staff management experience a plus
- Willingness to travel occasionally (post-pandemic)
Exponent Philanthropy is a member-led community of lean funders—those who make grants with few or no staff—where foundation leaders and individuals turn to gain insight, share practices, and seek support in making decisions. Exponent…
In addition, Exponent Philanthropy offers a competitive suite of benefits, including fully covered health insurance for the first year, and a subsequent benefits package equal to 21% of salary to cover your choice of health, dental, vision, disability, and/or life insurance, and 401(k) retirement contributions. Our total benefits offering is designed to support employee wellness while also providing the flexibility to customize your package.
In addition, Exponent Philanthropy offers a competitive suite of benefits, including fully covered health insurance for the first year, and a subsequent benefits package equal…
Interested parties should email a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to email@example.com and include “Manager, Corporate and Foundation Relations” in the email subject line. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. Incomplete applications will not be considered. Although we value initiative, we cannot field phone calls regarding the position.
Though our offices are located in the Dupont Circle area of Washington, D.C., we are operating as a remote/hybrid staff through the end of 2021. Therefore, we are willing to consider applications from those residing outside the DC metropolitan region.
Exponent Philanthropy is committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive environment. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Our organization recruits, hires, trains, and promotes persons in all job titles without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, personal appearance, familial status, family responsibilities, matriculation, political affiliation, source of income, place of business or residence, pregnancy, childbirth, gender or age (except where gender or age is a bona-fide occupational qualification, as defined by law), genetic information, or physical or mental disability (except where the disability prevents the individual from being able to perform the essential functions of the job and cannot be reasonably accommodated in full compliance with the law).
Interested parties should email a cover letter, resume, and salary expectations to firstname.lastname@example.org and include “Manager, Corporate and Foundation Relations” in the…