Position Summary: The Senior Everyday Living Mentor, in collaboration with the Residential Operations Manager, is responsible for the daily supervision of the GEMS Transitional Independent Living Program (TIL) creating a family-like atmosphere that supports the development and trauma needs of each resident.
This position is focused primarily on serving the residents of the TIL through advancing the mission of the organization and ensuring that the GEMS core values are reflected in all aspects of the programming.
24 hour program – Full- time schedule to be determined in coordination with Residential Director.
Tasks and Responsibilities: This statement of duties is for purpose of identifying this position but it is not limited to:
- Ensure safety of residents and promote confidentiality. Comply with all OCFS and DYCD regulations.
- Serve as a role model – guiding and empowering residents
- Conduct intakes and assist with residents Independent Service Plan development and implementation.
- Maintain constant oversight of the residence and maintain a visible presence on a daily basis. Be available as needed to address all questions, issues and concerns.
- Support the residents in developing and strengthening their independent living skills
- Set and contribute to a safe, dignified, orderly atmosphere by enforcing program rules, policies, and procedures.
- Ensure the safety of residents by limiting access to the facility to participants, staff, and authorized visitors and service providers.
- Participate in main office events, staff meetings and daily community building with all GEMS staff and members.
- In collaboration with the Residential Operations Manager conduct inspections in the residence and throughout the grounds and make changes/repairs as needed.
- In collaboration with the Residential Operations Manager, ensure that the TIL is in compliance with OSHA, Department of Sanitation and NYFD guidelines.
Administrative and Record Keeping:
- Manage records, files, monthly/quarterly/yearly reports, correspondence and statistics; complete necessary documentation (both hand-written and computer based/data entry) in a timely, accurate, complete and legible manner. May include, but not limited to: notations in the TIL log, bed roster, incident reports, late arrivals, sign-in sheets and referrals
- Input assigned data into Capricorn and Apricot
- Properly track and document all approved expenses (laundry log, emergency needs etc.), and must maintain responsibility of petty cash funds during each shift including signing in and signing out funds
- Manage and promote the cooperative, harmonious, teamwork environment GEMS strives to promote within the workplace.
- Manage and promote an atmosphere of dignity and respect in line with the philosophy and policies of Girls Educational and Mentoring Services.
- Attend to weekly supervision meeting with the Residential Director
- Manage all complaints and incidents in a prompt and courteous manner. Work directly with the Residential Director to handle complex and difficult incidents.
- GED/HS Diploma, Associate or Bachelor’s Degree preferred
- Eligible to work in U.S.A
- Able and available to work weekend days (8am-4pm) and weekday evenings (4pm-12am)
- At least 3-5 years of prior experience working with youth required.
- Commitment to the vision and mission of Girls Educational and Mentoring Services
- Housing management experience preferred.
- Sensitivity to the needs of runaway and homeless youth.
- At least 3-5 years of prior experience coordinating a residential setting, preferably for youth.
- At least 2 years of prior experience working with mental health-related issues, substance abuse, domestic violence, HIV/AIDS-related issues, and/or crisis intervention techniques.
- Possession of a valid NYS driver license preferred
- Demonstrated ability to facilitate small group process.
- Adept at managing multiple projects and complex situations.
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Ability to gather and synthesize data
- Adapts strategy to changing conditions and communicates changes effectively.
- Speaks clearly and effectively in positive or negative situations.
- Writes clearly and informatively, varies writing style to meet specific needs.
Attention to Detail
Attitude Toward Others
Excellent written and verbal communication
Project/Task and Goals Focus
Respect for Policies
GEMS Core Values
Social Justice Oriented