125 Maiden Lane
A Research Associate works with a substantial degree of independence under the direction of senior research staff, performs a variety of complex research and management tasks, and supervises research assistants, especially, but not only, on fielding activities. Research tasks may include collection of quantitative data (often by overseeing fielding of surveys), collection of qualitative data, data processing and/or implementing data analyses, coordinating project timelines, compilation of information, and writing reports, including publishable products. A Research Associate contributes to a range of other administrative and institutional activities and typically serves as a project manager on one or more projects or project components. We are seeking individuals with interest and experience in sexual and reproductive health research in the United States.
· Schedule, monitor, manage and coordinate a variety of tasks necessary for the fielding of large-scale surveys, including sample selection, mailings, tracking and follow-up, coding, and overall productivity and quality.
· Serve as project manager and work closely with project principals to oversee budget and staffing needs, while monitoring project schedules and work plan.
· Assist with orientation of research assistants to projects, with training in fieldwork skills and mentoring
· Supervise tracking of survey respondents
· Supervise checking and coding of questionnaires in preparation for data entry
· Monitor that a study’s methodological procedures and documentation are properly followed to ensure data quality
· Moderate focus groups or conduct in-depth interviews for qualitative data collection.
· Implement data analyses using statistical packages (Stata, R and NVivo preferred).
· Assist in analysis of qualitative data.
· Participate in the writing and/or review of project reports or articles.
· Coordinate projects that involve Guttmacher’s partnering with external collaborating organizations; includes coordinating internal meetings of project staff, meetings with external collaborators, and logistical preparations for project work.
· Design, format and proofread questionnaires, with direction from senior staff on content; implement or supervise research assistants on formatting, proofreading and translation of these documents.
· Assist with IRB-related preparation as needed.
· Responsible for appropriate (confidential if required) storage, archiving or disposal of survey questionnaires.
· Serve as a project’s point person to review and fact check materials as requested by other divisions (such as news releases and social media outputs).
· Serve as project manager (i.e., managerial lead) and work closely with project principals to oversee budget and staffing needs, while monitoring project schedules and work plan.
· Work with Communications and Policy teams, when applicable, to help coordinate communications activities.
· Assist with interviewing, recruitment, training and mentoring of research assistants and senior research assistants.
· Assist in various aspects of proposal development, for example by developing budget estimates (staffing and direct costs) for project activities.
· Present findings and represent Guttmacher at meetings and conferences.
· Perform other reasonably related job duties as assigned by supervisor, division management or project principals.
· Master’s degree in a relevant social science, health or demographic field and a minimum of three years of progressively responsible related work experience; or a bachelor’s degree in a related discipline and five years of progressively responsible related work experience.
· Demonstrated experience in performing and understanding data analysis procedures using statistical packages (Stata, R and NVivo preferred).
· Experience in qualitative data collection and analysis.
· Ability to schedule and coordinate work of a team.
· Ability to train and supervise research assistants.
· Ability to be the liaison with, and to professionally manage communication with, consultants, collaborators, and/or organizations.
· Ability to travel and represent Guttmacher at external meetings and conferences.
· Ability to work independently.
· Ability to plan ahead and foresee needs and problems.
· Effective communication, organizational and management skills.
· Efficiency, accuracy, high productivity and professionalism.
Salary and benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Excellent benefits that include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 401(k) with employer match, commuting subsidy, and generous time off.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, submit resume and cover letter here.