Bi-Lingual (Spanish/English) Social Worker
- Job posted by CaringKind – The Heart of Alzheimer’s Caregiving
Details: Competitive salary is commensurate with experience.
360 Lexington Avenue
CaringKind: The Heart of Alzheimer’s Caregiving (formerly known as the Alzheimer’s Association, NYC Chapter) is dedicated to working with those New Yorkers and their caregivers who struggle with the devastating impact of Alzheimer's disease and related dementias.
CaringKind is seeking to hire a licensed social worker (LMSW or LCSW) to provide direct social work services to Spanish speaking residents of New York City and the greater Metro area who are dealing with issues related to dementias. The ideal candidate is a motivated, self-starter with the clinical skills to engage, assess, and counsel individuals and families dealing with Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias.
CaringKind’s Social Work Services program supports New York City's Alzheimer's community through the provision of information, referrals, short-term counseling, psychoeducation and crisis intervention. Common issues addressed through this program include helping caregivers accept the impact of a diagnosis, assisting families in the development and implementation of care plans, fostering communication between family members who disagree about the level of care a person with dementia may need, and negotiating the complex systems around securing benefits and entitlements within New York City. Social Work support is offered in person, on the phone and via email, and is currently available in English, Spanish, Mandarin and Cantonese through our diverse staff, and in 200 languages through a language line translation service.
This position reports to the President & CEO.
The Social Worker will:
- Conduct needs assessments, assist with care planning and problem solving, and provide support (including information and referrals, psychoeducation, short-term counseling, and follow up) to individuals and families dealing with Alzheimer's Disease and related dementias, via telephone, email, satellite offices and/or co-located programs.
- Connect clients to other CaringKind programs and services that will assist in meeting their needs for information, education, support, and socialization, as well as provide follow up to clients referred for Social Work from these other programs and through community partnerships.
- Assist clients in navigating the various systems of care with which they may interact, including but not limited to hospitals, primary care providers, home care agencies, social adult day programs, community-based supports, assisted living and adult care facilities, and nursing homes.
- Guide clients in accessing and navigating the various public benefit and entitlement programs, including but not limited to Medicare, Medicaid and Medicaid-funded long-term care, and Meals on Wheels.
- Advocate with other community-based agencies to ensure services are rendered appropriately.
- Facilitate community-based education presentations for caregivers and professionals about Alzheimer’s disease and related dementias, as well as the programs and services of CaringKind.
- Provide regular support for CaringKind's 24-hour Helpline by answering calls, providing information and referral, triaging immediate needs, and referring callers to the appropriate internal programs for follow up, which includes semi-regular, back-up coverage on the weekends.
- Utilize CaringKind’s database to record all case notes and demographic information in a timely fashion on clients served.
• LMSW/LCSW (or MSW on the path to licensure) or an advanced degree in a related field
- Recent College Graduates are encouraged to apply
• Experience with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias strongly preferred
• Knowledge of NYC benefits/entitlements programs, and aging network services
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills
• Occasional evening/weekend work required by all staff
• Strong computer skills, including Outlook, Word, Excel & Internet
• Ability to work both independently and as an effective team member
Level of Language Proficiency
Bilingual in Spanish and in English is required.
Minimum Education Required