The Managing Director at the Alliance for Youth Organizing (along with our sister 501c4 organization the Alliance for Youth Action) is a new and exciting role at the Alliance . The Managing Director is a senior level role that will work to tie projects together across teams, lead engagement with the network’s governing bodies, and develop a diversity, equity, and inclusion plan that matches the organization’s values and vision. This role will work closely with the Executive Director and Leadership Team. This is a full-time and exempt position that manages 3 staff and reports to the Executive Director.
About the Alliance For Youth Organizing
The Alliance convenes, supports, and scales a national network of local, youth led organizations that foster civic engagement and promote social justice coast to coast. We truly are a network “of young people, by young people, for all people.” This year, our affiliates and partners are running massive voter registrations and get-out-the-vote drives, training new young leaders, and leading powerful campaigns to win on the progressive issues our generation cares about most. Our national team empowers this work by tracking down national resources for the network, building capacity for local groups, seeding new efforts, and coordinating national issue campaigns. We do this jamming to Cardi B’s “I Like It,” hanging out with our various office dogs, and snacking on A Baked Joint biscuits.
- Organizational & Project Management. Manages Program, Operations, and Communications departmental heads, leading the coordination and completion of projects across internal departments and other external governing bodies.
- Governance. Organizational lead for Board and network governance including coordinating board & executive director meetings, strategic planning, and governance review.
- Goals & Planning. Collaborates with the leadership team to set and implement both annual and long term organizational goals, and lead on tracking progress to goals.
Staff & Network Development
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. Develops organization’s evaluation, development, and implementation of a diversity, equity, and inclusion plan and practice.
- Leadership Development. Identify leadership development opportunities for Alliance and network staff and create structure to encourage utilization.
Key Qualifications & Experience
We’re looking for candidates with particular strengths in the following areas:
People Management - Prior staff management experience required.
Project Management - Ability to manage multiple projects, plan backwards, consult with various stakeholders, anticipate obstacles, run a tight ship, supervise staff, and keep a cool head while doing it.
Racial justice program development - Experience organizing colleagues, organizations, and/or movements centering racial justice and equity. Previous experience developing and/or implementing DEI plans preferred.
Board Experience - Previous experience developing and working with governing boards.
Communication skills - Strong written and verbal communications skills for a wide variety of stakeholders, including but not limited to: staff, board, network leadership, and broader network.
Collaboration skills - Track record of developing and maintaining trusting relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders, an ability to meet people where they are, find common ground, and inspire collective action.
Love for youth work + field - Experience working with youth led and/or state and local organizations driving transformative work.
The Alliance for Youth Organizing is an equal opportunity employer committed to a diverse work environment. People of color, people with disabilities, people of diverse sexual orientations, gender expressions, and identities are encouraged to apply.
The Alliance offers a competitive benefits package covering 100% of employee medical, dental, & vision insurance premiums, 75% of premiums for employee dependents, employer retirement contributions (SEP IRA), cell phone reimbursement, public transportation stipend, professional development funds, and generous paid time off, including paid family and medical leave.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please provide a single pdf document including the following in this google form.
- Cover letter, explaining why you want this job and what makes you well-suited to the position (please, show some personality)
- Three references
If you have question, please email firstname.lastname@example.org