Reporting to the Manager of Collections and Curatorial Projects, the Collections and Curatorial Projects Assistant provides overall support for the care and preservation of Kykuit’s diverse collection of over of 3,500 objects. Under the direction of the Manager of Collections and Curatorial Projects, the Collections and Curatorial Projects Assistant monitors the documentation, maintenance, and environmental conditions of the fine and decorative arts within Kykuit and its gardens, as well as other objects housed at the Coach Barn, Abeyton Lodge, and assembled outbuildings. The incumbent will support in coordinating and supervising collections maintenance, photography, conservation and restoration projects. The incumbent will perform cataloguing and administrative tasks related to collections management and general curatorial responsibilities. In addition, the Collections and Curatorial Projects Assistant gives special tours and assists in organizing public programs and temporary exhibitions.
This is a full-time position based in Tarrytown, New York.
· Provide data entry and updates to catalogue records in Re: Discovery Proficio, The National Trust’s specified database.
· Help to organize and maintain digital and hard copy curatorial files.
· Assist in monitoring environmental conditions of museum and art storage spaces.
· Assist in preparing condition reports for objects in the collection and conducting scheduled collections inventories.
· Catalogue and photograph secondary collections and affix numbers to objects at assembled buildings on the estate.
· Facilitate and supervise visits of conservators, photographers, movers, or other contractors working with the collection.
· Ensure that collections, signage, and installation/exhibition spaces are in proper condition for public visitation (May-November).
· Produce labels for the collections on view (as needed).
· Occasionally assist with the reorganizing and rehousing of collections in storage.
· Assist with research, development, production, and installation of temporary exhibitions, as well as related programming, at Pocantico and the NYC offices.
· Prepare and process loan forms (if applicable).
· Facilitate production of exhibition labels and wall texts.
· Assist with the periodic production of exhibition brochures, catalogues, or other publications.
Guest Tours and Other Responsibilities
· Provide overall administrative support including filing, invoice processing, monthly expense reports.
· Conduct special tours as requested.
· Answer queries from the general public and scholars regarding the collections, and facilitate visits of outside researchers, as appropriate.
· Manage rights and reproduction requests for images.
· Assist at special events and public programs, especially a series of collections-focused educational programs.
· Occasionally assist with grant writing and reporting.
· Assist in training and managing periodic departmental interns.
· Periodic transportation of collection objects to/from/within estate and local errands to acquire curatorial supplies.
· Perform other related duties as requested by the Manager of Collections and Curatorial Projects.
· Knowledge in the history of fine and decorative arts related to the collections (for more information, see here).
· Familiarity with best practices and current AAM standards for collections stewardship, and in monitoring, administering, and assessing conservation and restoration projects.
· Demonstrated ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a fast-paced work environment, while managing multiple projects simultaneously.
· Exceptional attention to detail.
· Excellent written, verbal, analytical, research, and organizational skills. Ability to draft original correspondence.
· Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to be consistently diplomatic, tactful, and professional, and to interact effectively with all levels of staff, guests, and other external parties.
· Administrative and general office skills. Particularly, high computer proficiency, including facility with collections database software and Microsoft Office 365; Adobe Creative Suite familiarity preferred.
· Basic documentary photography and post-production skills. Video editing skills are a plus.
· Valid driver’s license.
· Ability to carry/lift up to 25 pounds.
· Bachelor’s degree in art history, museum studies, or a related field with three years of related experience.
· Master’s degree in a relevant field with two years related experience.
· Experience with the collections of an historic house or museum; art handling skills preferred.
· Experience giving museum tours or gallery talks preferred.
· Computer skills/database experience required.
· Spanish language proficiency is a plus.
Expectations of All Positions
Each employee is expected to:
Reporting to the Manager of Collections and Curatorial Projects, the Collections and Curatorial Projects Assistant provides overall support for the care and preservation of Kykuit’s diverse collection of over of 3,500 objects. Under the…
The Rockefeller Brothers Fund is an equal opportunity employer and invites applications from candidates regardless of race, gender, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, or religion. The Fund is an anti-racist and anti-sexist institution (read more here). We offer a salary commensurate with qualifications and experience, a generous benefits package, and a pleasant work environment.
Given restrictions in place to curb the spread of COVID-19, this role will begin working remotely with the expectation of reporting to the RBF’s Pocantico Center (Tarrytown, New York) when conditions allow.
To apply, please send a letter explaining your interest in the position and qualifications along with a resume to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include Collections and Curatorial Projects Assistant, on the subject line of your email. No telephone or fax inquiries please. Application deadline is June 30, 2021.
For additional information please visit our website at www.rbf.org.
The Rockefeller Brothers Fund is an equal opportunity employer and invites applications from candidates regardless of race, gender, national origin…