Who We Are: The Flatbush Tenant Coalition is a member-led group of tenant associations in Flatbush, East Flatbush, and South Crown Heights working collectively to build tenant power. Acting together, we advocate improving the lives of tenants so families have safe, decent, and affordable housing. We organize and support tenant associations and develop tenant leaders. We educate tenants about their rights and how to organize to make change. We take united action in campaigns to strengthen tenant rights in NYC and across the state. Working together to build tenant power, we help to create a more just and equitable society.
The Position: The Coalition seeks a full-time Bilingual Community Organizer to help us build tenant power in south Brooklyn. Responsibilities include:
- Organizing tenant associations: The Community Organizer (CO) will work with emerging and current tenant leaders to organize tenant associations and plan and implement strategies to obtain respect and repairs from the landlords of rent regulated buildings.
- Developing tenant leaders: The CO will support tenant leaders to spearhead tenant rights campaigns. This includes working with Coalition staff and tenant leaders to update and conduct trainings, prepare tenant leaders and members to take on new roles and develop in their current roles; and support our leaders as they educate and engage other tenants in the fight to preserve decent, safe, and affordable housing in our community. The CO will create leadership development plans with our tenant leaders and provide constructive feedback on progress.
- Building our base: The CO will assist tenant leaders to conduct outreach in their buildings and in the neighborhood to build their tenant associations and identify new potential leaders and members. The CO will also assist with developing and implementing a communications plan to build our base and strengthen our campaigns.
- Engaging in city and state-wide tenant rights campaigns: The CO will work with tenant leaders and staff to coordinate and facilitate the Coalition’s role in city and state-wide tenant rights campaigns, including the Right to Counsel Coalition, Housing Justice for All, Stabilizing NYC, and others
- Contributing to the development of a collaborative, supportive team: The CO will take part in team, membership, and other meetings to jointly review and plan for actions, events, campaigns, and the growth of the Coalition.
- Tracking our work and progress: The CO will keep careful records of all of her/his organizing activities, using the Coalition’s database and tracking systems (sign-in sheets, Excel, Google Docs, etc.) The CO will periodically produce reports outlining his/her work and the progress of our tenant leaders and tenant associations.
This position is currently partially remote/on-line. It also requires in-person, outdoor street outreach and outdoor tenant meetings, as well as indoor flyer distribution. Work hours include 3 to 4 evening shifts per week (1 to 9 p.m.), and two Saturdays a month (half-days on Saturday). The Community Organizer reports directly to the FTC Director.
The Ideal Candidate will have:
- A strong, demonstrated commitment to social justice and the Coalition’s mission, vision, and community organizing approach
- At least two years of base-building and other community organizing experience
- At least one year of experience working on NYC housing or tenant issues
- Fluently bilingual, with a strong preference for Spanish or Haitian Kreyol
- Previous experience developing and conducting trainings and workshops
- Strong written and oral communication skills, and basic math skills
- Facility with social media, Google Drive, Slack, WhatsAppp, etc.
- Strong working knowledge of issues and systems affecting low-income, immigrant, LGBTQ, and communities of color, and relevant experience effectively working with these communities
- Ability to work with diverse constituencies, including community members and families, elected officials, legal services providers, and other community-based and advocacy organizations