Workshop Director and Facilitator, Pittsburgh, Pa. (Sept 2018- Aug 2019)
Young Voices for the Planet Civics, Democracy, Nature and Environment Workshops
Nonprofit organization seeks experienced workshop organizer, facilitator, presenter with Pittsburgh-area roots and local contact network to coordinate seven Young Voices for the Planet Civic Engagement and Democracy Workshops in Greater Pittsburgh and W. Pa. We seek someone with a demonstrated passion for the public good and experience helping teachers to empower youth.
Although this is a part-time job, it will be essentially a 40 -hr / wk job for some weeks and less at other times. This job offers flexibility of work days and work hours which can be discussed further during the interview.
Who We Are: YVFP ’s mission is to involve children and youth in solutions and governance in order to limit the magnitude of climate change and its impacts. Our Civic Engagement and Democracy Workshops train teachers to empower young people to take an essential role in catalyzing change inspired by the uplifting success stories in the Young Voices for the Planet films and YVFP Civic Engagement curriculum. Young people are eager to make a difference and educators are searching for ways to help them raise their voices. Our workshops help educators unleash the creative power of young people to protect their own future.
Your Experience should include:
· minimum of 2 years organizing, coordinating, presenting and facilitating interactive workshops
· setting up film screenings
· working with youth (classroom teaching a plus but not required)
· social media, social networking and MSWord, Excel, Facebook, Twitter
Minimum Education Required: Bachelors degree
You should have these skills, traits and qualities:
· self-motivation, flexibility and creativity
· ability to work both independently and as part of a team
· excellent communication and interpersonal skills: ability to communicate effectively verbally
· a pleasant, outgoing, compassionate personality and positive outlook on life
· the ability to stay calm under pressure and deal with many diverse personalities
· conflict resolution and the ability to spiral conflicts down rather than up
· strong writing, public relations, administrative and organizational skills
· good decision-making skills
· attention to detail
1. Cultivating contacts with existing institutions interested in hosting a Young Voices for the Planet Civic Engagement and Democracy workshop to:
· schedule educator workshops
· negotiate hosting agreements
2. Researching, reaching out to and cultivating relationships with new Pittsburgh area contacts who could host a Young Voices for the Planet Civic Engagement and Democracy workshop including but not limited to:
· educational Institutions
· nature Centers
· museums and Science Centers
· school boards and other hosts for in-service days
· religious institutions
· organizations involved in youth and teacher education and public education
· community-based organizations
2. Providing administrative, technical, and communications support including:
· Managing logistics for workshops (setup, A/V, supplies, attendee parking, food, travel, etc.)
· Updating daily calendar to communicate work progress to YVFP director.
· Planning, implementing and coordinating activities for educator workshops
· Developing and maintaining partner, host and participant database
· Assisting with the preparation of reports
· Keeping track of project budget
· Helping fine-tune workshop content (content is based on the YVFP Civic Engagement and Democracy curriculum)
· Write Google documents and respond to email
· Other tasks as assigned
3. Helping workshop hosts reach out to communities to attract workshop participants.
· Build on existing relationships to area educators interested in using the YVFP curriculum.
· Coordinate outreach to potential workshop participants
· Send out evites and invitations through Vertical Response or similar e-services
4. Media Outreach:
· Help with messaging for the public and for prospective partners
· Work with YVFP outreach coordinator to promote workshops on social media
· Creating compelling flyers to promote workshops
5. Public Relations:
· Use social media (Facebook/Twitter/ Instagram) as a promotional tool
· Update Facebook pages and Develop content for project web page
· Publicize workshops and film screenings through Vertical response or e-blast notices
· Arrange media interviews to publicize youth efforts through TV, radio, newspaper outlets
6. Helping Document Workshops:
· Work with camera crew
· Get photo and footage releases when filming workshops
7. Organize Film Screenings at theatres, film festivals, congregations and temples
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Send: cover letter, resume, 1-page writing sample, and three references with subject line “Pittsburgh Workshop Director” to: email@example.com
The job location is PITTSBURGH, Pa or Western Pennsylvania and you can work remotely for part of the job. Some of the job will require meeting with partners in Pittsburgh and doing the workshops in Pittsburgh.
Although it says the start date is 10/01, in reality, work can start immediately. Send applications until September 30, 2018.