Job Summary: The Senior Accountant is responsible for internal and external project-related financial statement, regulatory reporting, and general ledger reconciliation. Assists with review of financial information and reporting. Provide back up support to the Accounting Manager(s).
Status: Full-time, Nonexempt
Location: North Beach neighborhood, San Francisco
Hours: Monday through Friday 9:00 a.m. – 5:30 p.m.
Salary: DOE; Comprehensive benefits
The Organization: A private non-profit founded in 1977, Chinatown Community Development Center believes in a comprehensive vision of community. We own and/or manage approximately 30 affordable housing buildings serving over 3,800 low-income seniors, single adults, formerly homeless adults, and families of diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds in San Francisco’s Chinatown, Tenderloin, Western Addition, and Polk Gulch neighborhoods. We also build housing, develop grassroots leadership, and engage low-income residents and youth. Our employees are passionate about the mission; thrive in a family organizational culture; and embody values of empowerment, teamwork, and compassion. Chinatown CDC serves a diverse population and is committed to hiring practices that provide culturally competent services. We encourage people of color to apply.
General Job Responsibilities:
Internal/External Financial Statements
- Prepare financial reporting for entities with varying degrees of complexity, for internal use and for external governmental, lending and other institutions, meeting all commitments and timelines
- Actively participate in monthly finance cycle including generating and posting journal entries, bank reconciliation, GL account reconciliation, inter-company transactions, gross receipts tax filing, AP/ AR and Variance & Flux analysis review
- Prepare and analyze subsidiary ledgers, such as prepaid and deferred expenses, loan schedules, fixed asset roll-forward, and amortization and depreciation.
- Ensure all accounting reports complies with legal documents related to assigned properties (i.e. management agreements, loan agreement and government contracts)
- Perform independent research, investigation and reconciliation to correct errors and inconsistencies when reviewing rent roll and AR reports from Property Management department
- Analyze and prepare other journal entries of the finance operations including acquisition and disposition of an asset and debt/equity refinancing.
- Perform Analysis for cash flow projection and management
- Assist Accounting Manager in reviewing financial statements by verifying all GL postings, reconciling transactions and resolving discrepancies, to ensure the integrity of financial information.
- Provide support and guidance to junior accounting staff
- Assist in processing and reviewing accounts payable
- Assist in reviewing, analyzing and forecasting annual property budget
- Complete internal audit by analyzing and scheduling general ledger accounts and providing information to auditors
- Assist in ad-hoc projects assigned by Accounting Manager and Controller
- Work with Accounting Manager and Controller to identify and coordinate system changes and training mechanisms for other accounting staff
Knowledge, Skills, and Experience:
- Understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
- Knowledge of double-entry accounting through general ledger
- Knowledge of account analysis and financial statement preparation
- Knowledge of computerized accounting systems and spreadsheets
- Strong analytical skills and consistent attention to details
- Ability to manage deadlines and prioritize workload
- Ability to exercise confidentiality
- Ability to work well with others and in groups
- Clear communication skills
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or equivalent experience
- Three plus (3+) years strong General ledger experience
- Three (3+) years’ experience in computerized accounting setting with responsibilities for account analysis and financial statement preparations
- Prior experience in real estate accounting
- Proficient in worksheets and word processing
- Experience working with non-profit organization
- Bilingual/biliterate in Chinese language
- Prior experience in Yardi, MIP software