- Reports to: Vice President, Government Affairs
- Staff reporting to this position: Government Affairs staff
- Department: External Affairs
- Position classification: Exempt, full time
- Minimum compensation: $90,000
American Progress is seeking a Director of Government Affairs within the External Affairs department. The External Affairs department works to promote progressive policies and ideas among members of Congress; state, local, and regional organizations and elected officials; and advocacy organizations and think tanks. Precise areas of policy responsibility are not yet determined but could include some of the following: education, national security, energy and environment, democracy and government, early childhood, and youth engagement.
- Work closely with the Government Affairs team to initiate, manage, and/or coordinate outreach to federal policymakers in the U.S. Congress and officials in the executive branch.
- Promote American Progress’ legislative policy priorities and work product by developing effective and innovative dissemination strategies to administration officials, members of Congress, and staff.
- Ensure that the administration, Capitol Hill staff, and non-Capitol Hill staff view American Progress as a resource when they consider the development of legislative language on issues on which American Progress has expertise.
- Actively identify and pursue opportunities to promote American Progress’ President and CEO and policy staff as expert witnesses for congressional hearings and meetings.
- Work with relevant American Progress teams to produce, promote, and develop legislative and communication outreach strategies, often playing a project manager role.
- Keep American Progress staff updated on news and events related to Congress and the executive branch, and respond to requests for information from staff.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
Requirements and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience. Master’s degree is a plus.
- At least seven years of government affairs experience for the Associate Director and at least eight years of experience for the Director.
- Ability to work with numerous teams simultaneously and prioritize a large number of tasks.
- Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
- Interest and experience in a substantive policy area.
- Familiarity with the executive and legislative branches of government.
- Proven ability to work in a fast-paced environment, both independently and as part of a team, and to be innovative and creative.
- Proven ability to combine policy recommendations with appropriate communications and political dimensions.
American Progress offers full and competitive benefit packages. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.