Plant With Purpose, a Christian development organization, reverses deforestation and poverty around the world by transforming the lives of the rural poor. For more than 30 years, Plant With Purpose has been a leader in linking international community development and environmental solutions, working with smallholder farmers in strategic locations where environmental degradation and poverty intersect. Plant With Purpose currently works in Burundi, Democratic Republic of the Congo, the Dominican Republic, Haiti, Mexico, Tanzania, Ethiopia, and Thailand, and employs an integrated methodology that combines environmental restoration, economic empowerment, and spiritual renewal. Activities include watershed restoration, reforestation, sustainable agriculture training, savings-and-loan groups, local leadership development, and outreach efforts with the local Christian church.
Plant With Purpose Thrive25 Strategy Statement: Inspired by the impact of our work in service to rural communities around the world, we feel compelled to grow our programs to help address the rising need. By 2025, we plan to work in 10 countries, 60 watersheds, and with over 100,000 families. Our revenue will exceed $10 million as we seek to become the premier organization operating at the nexus of environmental restoration and poverty alleviation.
On July 1, 2020 we will launch into a new strategic period where we are planning to grow 80% over the next 5 years. Our previous strategic period focused heavily on building a fundraising infrastructure to grow major gifts. We are now investing in bringing our marketing efforts to the same high standard. We envision a strong marketing program attracting a strong national audience, which builds the Plant With Purpose brand and fills the top end of a fundraising funnel, some of which will feed into our fundraising efforts.
As the Marketing Manager, you will help us strengthen our marketing program and meet ambitious goals. You will build systems that grow our core audience, mobilize a large community of followers, and engage in conversation about challenging topics in a way that offers hope and upholds the dignity of all people at all times. You will manage a small marketing team (1-2 members) that we hope to grow over the upcoming Thrive25 strategic period as the organization grows.
You will report to the Director of Development and Marketing. Your responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Develop and implement marketing and donor communication strategies to best connect with our core and secondary audience segments in partnership with the Director of Development and Marketing and the team. You will tell our story and equip the greater team to tell our story with passion. You will also ensure that all our branding and messaging is on point and done with excellence. Sometimes you will create content yourself, but often you will facilitate cultivation of media content with assistance from a larger team.
- Lead and maximize the donor acquisition process. You will build systems, structures, and marketing strategies that build the top end of the funnel leading to the first gift. This will include, but is not limited to content marketing strategies, email marketing systems, website management, SEO, social media, occasional events (in person and virtual), building relationships with strategic influencers, and other tools as we grow. Our team of fundraisers will work alongside you in this process, but you will be the primary owner of this process and strategy.
- Manage a donor communications and marketing team in a growing organization. You will directly manage one to two staff members in the first year and build strong working relationships with a variety of contractors. We are looking for someone who can lead the team to meet performance goals that enable growth (of the organization and this team.) You must be excited to invest in people, equipping them to grow as we grow.
- Contribute towards Plant With Purpose’s goal to become known as the leading Christian environmental and reforestation organization. You will position Plant With Purpose as the go-to organization within the Christian community at the intersection of poverty and the environment. To do this, you will actively seek out platforms for Plant With Purpose staff to speak, write, and build a reputation as a thought leader. You will also lead communications components of our church outreach strategy.
WHAT WE'LL LOVE ABOUT YOU
- You have a Bachelor’s degree in a related field
- You have 10 years experience, and 3+ years of experience in managing a team
- You have a deep commitment to the professional quality of your work
- You have strong story-telling and marketing strategy skills.
- You are a systems thinker who can build the tools, infrastructure, and team needed to dramatically grow our national audience.
- You are able to explain scientific concepts in a compelling manner. Some select examples include a) what is a watershed and is it important to reversing rural poverty, b) explain various methods of measuring change in vegetative cover for a carbon offsetting business partner, for a church who is just learning about creation care, or to a business owner who has studied economics, but knows little about the environment.
- You are able to speak about poverty, environmental degradation, and other global challenges in a way that offers hope and upholds the dignity of all people at all times.
- You must be able to understand and communicate effectively to a diverse Christian audience.
- You are willing to occasionally work overtime as needed
- You are eligible to work legally in the United States without employer sponsorship
- You have a Masters in Marketing, or a related field
- You have worked on a marketing team in a rapidly growing international development or environmental organization.
- You are experienced in conducting market research
- You have experience with Adobe Creative Cloud
- You have experience with Bloomerang or similar CRM database
- You are proficient in Microsoft Excel and/or data analysis tools
We are a collaborative, interdependent team that relies on relating and supporting each other to achieve our goals. Through the way we live in and shape our culture, we seek to build community and a sense of belonging in our local, national, and global families. Working on the Plant With Purpose team in the Marketing & Communications Manager position will require you to be a coach, a strategist, a learner, and a communicator in the following ways:
- You have a deep connection with the holistic mission of Plant With Purpose and the diverse communities we seek to empower
- You have a personal alignment with our organizational core values of faith, collaboration, empowerment, innovation, stewardship, and sustainability
- You have a love for humanity, including those who live in poverty, regardless of race, ethnicity, religion, or culture
- You intentionally build community and a team mentality by pursuing the "we" over the "me"
- You understand the priority of relationships in getting work done
- You feel most successful as a leader when each person on the team succeeds
- You reflexively express gratitude and growth-oriented feedback
- You think with a whole-system's lens when implementing a piece of it
- You accept feedback with a growth mindset
- You listen with an intent to understand by asking clarifying questions
- You seek out learning and development opportunities for yourself and others
- You strive to be an inclusive person by being aware of the existence and impact of your unconscious biases, and working daily to check them
Commensurate with experience. Range is available upon request.
- Health, dental, and vision insurances
- Group life insurance
- 401k match, up to 8%, after 6 months of employment
- 15 paid vacation days
- 8 paid sick days
- 11 paid holidays
- Visits to international programs, as arranged with supervisor (Due to COVID-19, international travel is cancelled. Once travel restrictions are released, these can be discussed with your direct supervisor)
START DATE: September 15 - October 1, 2020
Considering COVID-19, we are still hiring but conducting virtual interviews to keep our candidates and employees safe. This role will be temporarily remote or work from home to comply with current safety regulations, but will be expected to be based in San Diego and to work in our office once restrictions are lifted and we reopen our offices.
APPLY BY: July 24, 2020
Does this sound like you? If so, please apply on the plantwithpurpose.org website here. Please include a Cover Letter with your application that shows us how you are a great fit for this position, the organization, and our culture.
Plant With Purpose is an EEO/AA employer by choice.
If you need reasonable accommodation in order to complete the application, please email Human Resources at email@example.com. No phone calls please.