You are relational, resourceful, articulate, and perceptive. You possess exceptional interpersonal communication and problem-solving skills. You are most satisfied when your work has deep, meaningful impact. At Defy, your challenge is to assist with HR programs and initiatives including but not limited to: on boarding/off boarding, benefits, HR policies and procedures, internal communications and performance appraisals.
We look for the following when evaluating new teammates:
• Culture fit: You love our ambitious/spirited culture that is passionate about redeeming lives and restoring communities. We strive to display heart, empathy, and resolve in our daily interactions with one another.
• Organizational prowess: You are a strong project and people manager, capable of driving multiple work streams and stakeholders toward deadlines and juggling priorities in a dynamic environment.
This telecommuting/home-office based position, reports to our Chief People Officer.
You will be entrusted with your own share of massive responsibility. You will have the support of teammates who look out for you and want you to succeed. You will make a difference.
Although Defy is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, we take pride in our application of corporate best practices and operate as a lean, results-oriented startup. This high-impact opportunity is perfectly suited for a professional looking to transition out of the corporate world. Many of our most successful employees come from for-profit backgrounds.
· Process HR transactions (e.g. hires, personal data changes, promotions, terminations)
· Serve as liaison between HR and Finance Departments, in order to field questions and resolve day-to-day employee issues
· Serve as primary user for PTO & timekeeping platform, including updates and maintenance
· Continually monitor and improve compensation and benefits packages, keeping Defy competitive in its industry, and identify creative approaches to enhance employee programs and benefits
· Assist with annual processes (e.g. Performance Review process, compensation planning, benefits open enrollment, etc.)
· Keep appraised and updated on new HR regulations nationally, and update company policy and procedures accordingly
· Create, update and maintain organizational charts as needed
· Provide administrative HR support, including preparing presentations, generating monthly and ad hoc reports, sending employee communications and other projects as needed
· Establish, maintain, and update human resources policies, process, and procedures. Maintain and update employee handbook, and other policies pertaining to HR nationally
· Maintain in-depth knowledge of federal, state, and local employment laws and legal requirements, and ensure regulatory compliance on HR-related matters and activities to mitigate risk
· Assist Chief People Officer in appropriately investigating and resolving grievances and complaints
· Serve as a steward of team culture, including ensuring the regular application of our values
· Generate new ideas to create a welcoming and engaging work environment for office and telecommuting staff
· Manage Defy birthday, work anniversary, and other recognition and celebration programs
· Minimum of 1 year of generalist human resources experience, preferably with a scaling, entrepreneurial organization
· Intermediate to advanced user of Microsoft Office Suite and Google Docs/Sheets
· Demonstrated understanding of employment and labor law policies, regulations, and practices
· Strong interpersonal communications skills and an organized and efficient work style
· Experience with HR compliance, legal, and reporting requirements
· Strong attention to detail with an innate focus on customer service
· Self-aware, humble, and attuned to the needs of our internal team members
· Ability to handle confidential and sensitive issues with diplomacy, discretion, and integrity
· Working knowledge of and experience with various HR systems, processes, policies, practices, procedures, and tools; process-oriented with a bias for simplification and standardization
· Proactive, independent self-starter who takes the initiative to identify and assist in resolving problems both within and beyond areas of direct responsibility
· Excellent judgment and ability to maintain effectiveness, professional demeanor, and positive attitude, even in ambiguous situations and during high-pressure periods
· Organized, efficient, and willing to get better at both
· Our website: www.defyventures.org
· 90 seconds of Defy in Prison: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lLoacd_rJsY
· 4 minutes on our post-release program and incubator: https://youtu.be/cDcmE39bve4
· Fast Company covered our work at Pelican Bay:
Minimum Education Required