Associate Director, Volunteer Engagement and Regional Affairs
- Job posted by NAFSA: Association of International Educators
1307 New York Avenue NW
Position Summary: The Volunteer Leader Development and Regional Affairs (VLDRA) staff unit is broadly responsible for component relations, volunteer management, and member engagement. In partnership with the Senior Director, the Associate Director is primarily responsible for implementing a comprehensive structure of support for 11 regional teams and affiliated state organizations. This position also supports programs, products, and services related to leadership development and national awards.
Major Functions and Responsibilities
- Partner with and guide the chair and chair-designate of Regional Affairs Committee (RAC) (20%)
- Design and implement specific training modules for regional leader cohorts to achieve strategic priorities in the following areas (10%):
- Monitor, assess, develop plans, timelines, and reports on all aspects of regional health (15%)
- Develop planned annual communication and training for RAC, chairs-elect, chairs, and regional coaches (15%)
- Collaborate with third-party providers related to regional conference activities (10%)
- Lead cross-departmental coordination of the annual International Education leadership awards program and annual conference programs (10%)
- Supervise and train NAFSA team member(s) who will serve as staff partner to regional conference planners and business managers/treasurers and facilitate monthly calls (15%)
- Assume other responsibilities as assigned by the Senior Director and Deputy Executive Director (5%)
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- At least five (5) years of work experience in planning and management of project teams
- A track record of excellent customer relations support using a variety of communication mediums and platforms
- Project management and coordination involving association/nonprofit volunteer groups or components
- Strong communication skills, both oral and written, including web-based applications and presentation delivery
- Demonstrated ability to plan, take initiative, set priorities, and exercise sound judgment in a complex, fast-moving environment
- Ability to lead in a team setting, while handling issues with confidence, diplomacy, and discretion
- Exceptional organizational skills and attention to detail
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite products
- Master’s degree
- Advanced proficiency with Microsoft Office suite products
- Knowledge or experience in international education
- Experience with instructional/curriculum design, training program development, or adult learning theory applications
- Experience with database software, as well as various web or cloud-based conferencing platforms
- Experience with volunteer engagement
- Ability to master various technology, web, and data management systems
As representatives of a membership organization with a broad and diverse range of activities related to education and training, NAFSA staff possess more than simply specialized capabilities. Each individual is expected to take the initiative to become knowledgeable about the organization as a whole. Association members and other staff expect colleagues to be accessible and responsive, to convey a positive attitude, and to exhibit a high degree of professionalism.
The workday is generally 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. The week after Memorial Day to Labor Day, it is 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. on Friday.
Travel is required occasionally related to job responsibilities, especially for the annual conference or other leadership meetings. Participation in the NAFSA annual conference the week of Memorial Day, including the holiday itself, is a job requirement. The annual conference is held in varying cities.
About NAFSA: Association of International Educators
NAFSA: Association of International Educators is an organization of people dedicated to building a global community and fostering a more peaceful world through advancing international higher education. With approximately 10,000 members, NAFSA is the world’s largest professional development and advocacy organization committed to international learning and creating a more globally engaged, welcoming, and educated United States.
NAFSA believes that international education advances learning and scholarship, fosters understanding and respect among people of diverse backgrounds and perspectives, is essential for developing globally competent individuals, and builds leadership for the global community. We believe that international education lies at the core of an interconnected world characterized by peace, security, and well-being for all.
NAFSA is a workplace that not only appreciates diversity but believes it is our strength, and we strive to create an inclusive culture for all our team members. NAFSA is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and is committed to providing a diverse, inclusive, and accessible workplace to all employees. Learn more about NAFSA at www.nafsa.org.
Minimum Education Required