105 Chauncy Street
HomeStart is hiring a Rapid Rehousing Advocate who will work to assist individuals experiencing homelessness with a rapid transition from emergency shelter to permanent housing. The Housing Advocate will work alongside shelter case management to support households with comprehensive housing search, assistance with the lease-up process, and follow up correspondence to ensure housing stability.
· Assist homeless individuals and families with all aspects of housing search and placement into permanent housing: work with clients to devise an appropriate housing search strategy; complete housing applications; prepare necessary documentation; negotiate with landlords, housing authorities, and realtors.
· Conduct outreach activities to generate client referrals from shelters and programs for homeless individuals throughout the Greater Boston area.
· Coordinate housing search and lease up activity with related work of shelter case managers and any other partner agencies involved in the process.
· Help clients establish and follow a budget that will allow for housing stability.
· Assist clients with the process of accessing rapid re-housing funds to aid with move-in costs.
· Support working clients in maintaining and maximizing incomes through referrals to employment programs
· Complete all required computer data-tracking and file documentation on a timely basis.
· Travel throughout Greater Boston to assist with housing search-related activities.
· Other activities as assigned by supervisor.
· One to three years housing search or related experience preferred (case management, property management, community organizing/advocacy).
· Strong advocacy and outreach skills.
· Strong written and verbal communication skills.
· Basic math skills required.
· Dedication to helping people who are homeless move beyond shelter.
· Knowledge of subsidized and private housing resources and regulations preferred.
· Experience with homeless adults, recovery population and/or mental health areas preferred.
· Bilingual skills a plus.
· Computer skills required (MS Windows, Word, internet). Data entry skills preferred.
HomeStart offers Generous benefits package, a dynamic staff, flexibility, and a supportive work environment. HomeStart is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer. Persons of color and formerly homeless persons encouraged to apply.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please indicate Rapid Re-Housing Advocate position and salary requirements in cover letter. Electronic Submissions only. Please email resumes to: RRH Program Manager, Tyler McEachron, at email@example.com