PEN America, a fast-growing non-profit organization working at the intersection of literature and human rights, seeks a Human Resources Manager to facilitate and enhance all aspects of the employee experience. This new position will support organizational management in recruiting and retaining stellar colleagues equipped to advance PEN America’s mission to defend and celebrate free expression. The Human Resources Manager should be a highly motivated professional seeking to make an important impact on organizational growth, with exceptional interpersonal communications skills, appropriate expertise and sensitivity, and a creative, organized approach to realizing the potential of the position.
The Human Resources Manager will assist with recruitment across the organization, handle onboarding of staff, and help to develop, refine, and implement policies and procedures related to employment at PEN America. The Manager will liaise with a Professional Employer Organization with regard to benefits and assist staff in utilizing available resources. The Manager also will work with managers to facilitate the employee annual assessment process and oversee PEN America’s internship program. The position will serve as a resource for leadership and managers at all levels on best practices in human resources development. The Manager will develop and provide enhancements for organizational life, including in the areas of professional development, staff training, retreats, procedures, and communications. The Manager also will be a designated point of contact for employees with concerns regarding harassment, discrimination, and related matters. The position will report to the Chief Operating Officer.
· Facilitate staff recruitment, including development of job descriptions, advertising of openings, screening of candidates, scheduling of interviews, and preparation of offers
· Onboard staff, organizing a systematic process for introducing new employees to the organization
· Serve as organizational interface with Professional Employer Organization and other services to staff, and regular analyze and appraise benefit program options
· Develop, refine, and ensure adherence to organizational employee policies and procedures, utilizing appropriate consultations and communications
· Manage regular and special performance assessment processes, supporting managers and employees to ensure process is productive
· Assist in promoting a work environment that values diversity and inclusion, monitor adherence to organizational polices regarding discrimination and harassment, and serve as point of contact for employee concerns
· Develop and deliver a program of staff development offerings, including coaching, training, and skills workshops
· Oversee PEN America’s internship program, including supporting departments in recruitment, facilitating onboarding and record-keeping, and ensuring the program provides a beneficial educational experience for the interns
· Support organizational leadership in identifying and addressing opportunities to enhance employee’s experience at PEN America and retain excellent staff
· Provide counsel to leadership and managers at all levels regarding human resources matters and best practices
· At least 3-6 years of experience in a human resources department, with demonstrated aspiration for greater professional responsibility
· Tested capacity to identify and solve problems relevant to the field of human resource management and organizational growth
· Superior communications skills in person and in informal and formal written formats
· Capacity to be a sensitive listener, work with discretion, and to interact effectively with colleagues at all levels
· Track record of creativity and knowledge-seeking in the field of human resources
· Interest in PEN America’s work, and demonstrated ability to meld the practice of human resource management with the work and mission of an organization
PEN America stands at the intersection of literature and human rights to protect open expression in the United States and worldwide. We champion the freedom to write, recognizing the power of the word to transform the world. Our mission is to unite writers and their allies to celebrate creative expression and defend the liberties that make it possible.
Salary and Benefits: PEN America offers competitive compensation and benefits, commensurate with experience.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Please submit a cover letter, resume, unedited writing sample, and the contact information for three references. Please submit the entire application to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please use “HR Manager” and your name as the subject of your email (for example, “HR Manager - Jane Doe”). Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
No phone calls, please.