1101 15th Street NW
We are Friends of the Earth and we are looking for a Digital Advocacy Communications Coordinator to expand our organization’s capacity and ability to direct compelling campaigns and engage our membership through online advocacy and other digital engagement tools. You will work in collaboration with campaign teams to produce compelling, engaging content for Friends of the Earth’s 1.6 million+ email subscribers. You will contribute to our rapidly growing digital advocacy efforts and use digital tools to achieve campaign victories – including stopping Trump’s attacks on our public lands, preventing Congress from gutting protections for organic agriculture, and getting bee-killing pesticides out of the food sold in our supermarkets. If you have strong advocacy writing skill and are technically inclined in the mechanics of advocacy campaigning, please read on. Our Digital Advocacy Communications Coordinator position is located in our Washington DC Headquarters and we invite you to apply.
Who We Are
First of all, you need to know more about us. Friends of the Earth is working for a healthier and more just world. We understand that the challenges facing our planet call for more than half measures, so we push for the reforms that are needed, not merely the ones that are politically easy. Our mission is to change the perception of the public, media and policy makers – and effect policy change – with impactful, well-reasoned policy analysis and advocacy campaigns that protect people and the planet. This hard-hitting advocacy has been the key to our successful campaigns over our four-plus decades in operation. Our programs address a wide range of domestic and international issues as they relate to the environment, including but not limited to: climate and energy, food and agriculture, oceans and water, economic policy and democracy reform.
As Digital Advocacy Communications Coordinator, you are responsible for three core areas of responsibility:
- creating persuasive advocacy content for the purpose of maximizing member engagement and advocacy support,
- growing our email subscriber list through a variety of efforts, and
- last but not least, you are responsible for all the technical and production issues associated with these campaigns/promotions.
On a daily basis, your tasks will include:
- Working in collaboration with campaigners to create persuasive email advocacy content with a goal of maximizing member engagement and advocacy impact.
- Proofreading, loading, targeting, and testing organizing and fundraising content in digital advocacy and fundraising CRM.
- Drafting donation page copy and set up donation pages in our donation processing system ActBlue.
- Growing email subscriber list through joint actions, cross promotions, and petition platforms.
- Monitoring, analyzing, and reporting on email advocacy metrics.
- Designing and running tests to improve the performance of our email program.
- Troubleshooting technical problems in digital advocacy and fundraising CRM.
- Responding quickly and completely to email inquiries from Friends of the Earth members and activists.
We would like to talk with you if you have:
- 1-3 years of experience in marketing, communications, digital advocacy
- Excellent written communications skills, with an emphasis on digital advocacy
- Experience working with email analytics
- Knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook
- Experience with CRM preferred (Engaging Networks)
To be successful in this job, you must be exceptional in these areas:
- Relationship-building: able to build trust and consensus across teams while still achieving Membership goals. 100% follow-through on internal and external commitments.
- Attention/Memory to detail: Takes responsibility to make sure all final products are polished. This can mean: No typos, grammatical errors, or technical issues; correct email and landing page templates used; email targeting set up perfectly; no errors in analyzing test results; grasps nuances of campaign well enough to draft factually-accurate and message-aligned copy.
- Flexibility: Not frustrated by a constantly changing internal and external environment. Able to push work forward through obstacles and adapt quickly as things change.
- Multi-tasking, prioritizing machine: Able to prioritize duties and multitask while still working accurately AND quickly while under pressure and with short deadlines. You are meticulous, but not at the expense of efficiency.
- Team-builder and -player: Adept at cross-team collaboration and committed to building consensus.
- Confident in approaching technical or detailed work: Not intimidated or frustrated by detailed and technical tasks. Eager to follow intricate instructions.
Additionally, a passion for the environment and progressive politics, nonprofit/membership organizations is a MUST.
What Else You Should Know
We are a culture of can-do people, working in open spaces, regularly supporting each other. You will be working out of our Headquarters in Washington, DC, which is a highly collaborative environment.
Your salary will be competitive for the role and market and you will find our benefits to be generous – organization-sponsored medical/dental/vision care, generous paid time off, contribution to retirement, flexible spending accounts, commuter benefits, paid maternity/paternity leave and more.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, please send us a resume or your LinkedIn profile by following this link. We look forward to learning more about you.
We are an equal opportunity employer who encourages applications from women, people of color and other members of underrepresented groups who will contribute to the diversity of its staff. Also, please note that references will be requested during the screening process and we will ask final candidates to tackle some exercises that directly relate to the job description.