Assistant Director-Hillel at the University of Virginia
- Job posted by Hillel: The Foundation for Jewish Campus Life
Make your mark on Jewish student life by joining the Brody Jewish Center, Hillel at the University of Virginia as the Assistant Director. As the Assistant Director, you will develop and oversee the implementation of our overall engagement and programming strategy that empowers Jewish students to take ownership of their Jewish identity.
You live and model a passionately Jewish life, are entrepreneurial and a master relationship builder, possess extremely high emotional intelligence, and have a great sense of humor. You will utilize these skills to supervise staff, coach student leaders and to actively engage Jewish students at UVa. You will be responsible for ensuring meaningful and diverse opportunities for Jewish expression, identifying and cultivating student leaders, and consistently promoting a welcoming and lively pluralistic Jewish community.
As the Assistant Director you'll drive Hillel forward by applying your organizational and entrepreneurial skills. You'll oversee UVa's comprehensive student experience, supervise professional staff and student interns, and contribute to the overall vision of the organization.
What You'll Do:
- Identify, recruit, cultivate, and develop a committed and connected group of student leaders.
- Implement an engagement strategy in collaboration with staff and interns.
- Coordinate on-going Jewish learning initiatives that both develop community and strengthen Jewish identity.
- Actively infuse Jewish life, learning, and values into all programs and engagement opportunities.
- Supervise the Jewish Agency Israel Fellow to ensure strong Israel education and involvement on campus.
On a day to day basis you will:
- Coach, train and advise student leaders and interns so they in turn can engage new students and create their own programs.
- Oversee programming and engagement budgets.
- Track and assess student participation data using our database system.
- Design, recruit, and facilitate Alternative Break experiences.
- Develop key relationships with campus professionals and student organizational partners to ensure positive positioning of Hillel at the University of Virginia in the university landscape.
What You've Accomplished:
- Preference given to candidates with 5+ years of experience in Jewish, experiential, or higher education. Work in a Jewish nonprofit is preferred.
- Proven success in:
- Implementing and leading engaging programs or conversations on Jewish values and contemporary topics.
- Coaching and managing a team. Ability to advise others to achieve outcomes.
- Managing multiple projects from inception to completion.
- Community building and relationship based engagement.
What You'll Bring to the Job :
- Bachelors degree required, a formal degree in Jewish Education or Jewish Studies preferred.
- An entrepreneurial energy to everything that you do.
- A deep passion for building pluralistic Jewish communities and creating a welcoming, vibrant, and deeply enriching Jewish environment on and around campus.
- A fluency and comfort with Jewish knowledge, ideas, traditions, conversations and practices.
- Some experience creating, planning, and staffing Jewish experiences in camp, youth-group, synagogue, high-school, undergraduate, or other settings.
- A strong knowledge base of Jewish content, ranging from traditional texts to contemporary.
- Organization and attention to details and deadlines.
- Clear and concise spoken and written communication skills.
- Leadership development skills.
- Working as part of a team as well as independently.
- Being flexible and thinking big picture.
- A good sense of humor.
- Loving the colors orange and blue and Mr. Jefferson!
What You'll Receive:
- Competitive salary in the non-profit marketplace. The salary range for this role is $55,000-65,0000.
- A comprehensive benefits package, including health insurance, Group Supplemental Retirement Annuity (GSRA), pension plan, life insurance, Long Term Disability (LTD), Flexible Spending Plan, generous vacation/sick time, and parental leave.
- Great professional development, mentoring, and skill building opportunities .
- Opportunities for international travel.
What We're About:
The Brody Jewish Center seeks to empower Jewish students to engage with their tradition in relevant and meaningful ways and to inspire a lifelong relationship with Judaism and the Jewish people. BJC serves more than 1,000 undergraduate Jewish students, and more than 500 Jewish graduate students at the University. The Jewish community at the University of Virginia is thriving. BJC is an organization for students and run by students. Students at BJC are actively involved in visioning and programming, and they are true partners in the work of creating Jewish community at UVa.
About Hillel International:
In 1923, Rabbi Benjamin Frankel started Hillel with humble means, a noble mission and a breathtaking vision: to convey Jewish civilization to a new generation. Today, Hillel International continues to enrich the lives of Jewish students and is the largest Jewish campus organization in the world at more than 550 colleges and universities across North America and around the world. As Hillel evolves as an organization, the mission remains steadfast: to create lasting connections with every Jewish student that foster an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning, and Israel and train them to become the next Jewish leaders.
The Brody Jewish Center is affiliated with Hillel International. Hillel International enriches the lives of Jewish students so they may enrich the Jewish people and the world, and envisions a world where every student is inspired to make an enduring commitment to Jewish life, learning and Israel.
Apply at www.HillelJobs.com and include your resume and cover letter.
New Applicants: Select “Apply for this Position” to submit your application and create an account.
Previous Applicants: Scroll to the “Previous Applicants” section. Please input your e-mail address and password to login, and select “Add to My Jobs” to login and submit your application.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To Apply: Apply at www.HillelJobs.com and include your resume and cover letter. New Applicants: Select Apply for this Position to submit your application and create an account. Previous Applicants: Scroll to the Previous Applicants section. Please in