17 N. State Street
Legal Council for Health Justice seeks a staff attorney for our Medical-Legal Partnership with Access Community Health Network (ACCESS).
Legal Council finds legal remedies for discrimination, disadvantage, and disparities in health, equity and well-being across the lifespan of Illinoisans impacted by life-changing medical conditions. Its staff have achieved successes through direct legal representation and high impact litigation, administrative and legislative advocacy, and by providing training to and collaborating with other advocates who are working towards the same goals. Legal services are delivered through collaborative efforts with safety net medical providers.
ACCESS is federally qualified health center network with 25 years of experience delivering high quality, community-based primary and preventive health care to low income, minority populations living in medically underserved areas in the Chicago metropolitan area.
All applicants must demonstrate a commitment to the missions of Legal Council and ACCESS. Experience in one or more of the following areas is preferred:
- Social Security, Medicaid and other public benefits programs,
- General intake in poverty law;
- Models of harm reduction and trauma-informed care.
Relevant experience includes not only professional advocacy on behalf of others, but personal experience with poverty, chronic illness, mental illness, public housing or other issues affecting our client population.
Principal Responsibilities: The staff attorney will work on a variety of legal matters. Responsibilities include:
- Providing legal representation, legal counsel, and referrals to eligible patient-clients under the supervision of the program director, in a wide range of legal areas including, but not limited to: public benefits such as Social Security and SSI and SNAP; health care access under Medicaid, Medicare, and private health insurance; housing issues related to health and safety issues; and safety planning related to immigration.
- Coordinating intake, communication, project management, and evaluation of the pilot in conjunction with ACCESS.
Legal Council will supervise the attorney but s/he will be located on-site at ACCESS several days per week delivering services to clients and building the partnership with ACCESS team members.
Specific Job Requirements:
- Applicants must have a J.D. degree and be admitted to the Illinois Bar or be eligible for admission through reciprocity.
- Spanish fluency preferred.
Salary: Salary is commensurate with experience and based on LCHJ’s salary scale.
More information about the agency is available at www.legalcouncil.org.
Full benefits (medical, dental, 401(k), paid vacation and sick days, etc.)
Level of Language Proficiency
Spanish fluency preferred.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
To apply, email a resume, compelling cover letter, writing sample, and three professional references to:
Thomas Yates, Executive Director
Legal Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer: People of color, women, persons with disabilities, the elderly, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender, and Veterans are welcomed and strongly encouraged to apply.