We all face challenges and transitions in our lives, and when we do, we must be able to count on the strength of community for support. For the people of Los Angeles, Jewish Family Service LA is that trusted source of support. We are a comprehensive network of services that welcomes individuals and families of all ages and identities to our full spectrum of care. Our highly trained staff and volunteers work closely with individuals and their loved ones to problem-solve and guide them on their paths to safety, security, wellness, and fulfillment.
JFS staff share in our mission and work towards our goals with the highest level of responsibility, professionalism, and integrity. JFS demonstrates our commitment to our staff by offering a comprehensive benefits package and a nurturing environment.
Be part of our commitment and join our family. For more information on our philosophy and services, please tour our website. www.jfsla.org.
The Director of Senior Nutrition Services is responsible for management and daily operations of Senior Nutrition congregate and home-delivered meals program, as well as overall management of a Kosher kitchen. Will direct the activities of the Senior Nutrition Program ensuring all administrative, direct supervision, health, and grant requirements are met with accuracy and efficiency. Will be responsible for all food service-related activities including contract compliance, menu preparation, quality improvement, sanitation, and all client-related activities.
- Bachelor’s degree in nutritional science, food service management, gerontology, or a related field; Master’s degree strongly preferred.
- Minimum of 5 years food service management experience with demonstrated leadership ability.
- Must successfully complete basic training in Hazard Analysis Critical Control Point (HAACP) principles and receive certification as a Food Protection Manager by the LA County Dept. of Public Health within six months of being hired. ServSafe® Certificate required.
- Must have and maintain a valid CA driver license, satisfactory driving record, auto insurance coverage, and have daily access to a personal vehicle.
- Bilingual Spanish and/or Russian is a plus
- Requires thorough knowledge of the modern methods of the storage, preparation and service of food, and the sanitary requirements and equipment used in large scale food operations.
- Requires ability to estimate and budget for future needs and cost of personnel, space, equipment, supplies and services.
- Must be a customer-focused, problem solver and trainer who knows how to build a culture of sensitivity and responsiveness and maintain morale while holding the team accountable for providing a great experience for clients.
- Strong supervisory, leadership, management and coaching skills.
- Strong knowledge of food and catering trends with a focus on quality, production, sanitation, food cost controls, and presentation.
- Excellent financial, budgetary, accounting and computational skills required
- Must have computer experience using Microsoft Word and Excel, including report creation and analysis, and using internet and electronic mail systems.
- Strong written and oral communication skills.
- Must be self-motivated, detail-oriented, organized and able to manage and prioritize multiple tasks.
- Must pass a criminal background check (Live Scan fingerprinting) prior to beginning employment
- Plans, develops and directs a large-scale food services program.
- Oversees daily operations of 15 congregate senior meal sites, a large home-delivered meal program and a kosher production kitchen.
- Provides ongoing operational assessment and the development and implementation of policies and procedures to ensure high quality, efficient service delivery.
- Directly supervises three salaried managers and over 30 indirect hourly associates.
- Interviews, hires, and trains associates; plans, assigns, and directs work; appraises performance; rewards and disciplines associates; addresses complaints and resolves problems.
- Prepares and manages annual budget.
- Oversees and participates in the preparation and service of food and beverage items in adherence to established food standards for preparation, presentation, sanitation and safety (meeting HACCP and OSHA guidelines) and portion control.
- Plans, schedules and publishes all menus for general and/or special diets meeting all mandated dietary guidelines in compliance with contractual specifications, minimum RDAs of key nutrients, and the laws of Kashrut.
- Develops, implements and enforces program policies and procedures.
- Develops and coordinates training to ensure staff maintain appropriate certification/knowledge.
- Assures compliance with local, state and federal regulations/statutes.
- Serves as primary nutrition liaison to municipal and county officials.
- Represent program and agency at stakeholder meetings, community events, and outreach activities.
- Devises, implements and evaluates quality assurance initiatives and develops response plans to ensure continuous program quality improvement.
- Collects, tabulates, and analyzes program data; prepares and submits program reports as required.
- Ensures maintenance of the highest rating on health inspections and corrects any deficiencies.
- Recruits, trains, supervises, and evaluates managers/line staff and develops and leads in-service training programs for staff and volunteers.
- Develops and administers client satisfaction surveys; analyzes data and implements corrective actions as necessary.
- Perform annual employee performance evaluations and review those written by department supervisors
- Promotes the professional growth and development of the entire team.
Jewish Family Service is proud to provide equal employment opportunities to all employees and qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran.