Position: Development Manager - (Full-time, Remote, US-based)
Organization: Accelerate Change
Reports to: YK Vandekamp, Director of Operations
Location: Full-time, 100% remote position with occasional travel once every 2-3 months (post-COVID)
About Accelerate Change
Accelerate Change is a nonprofit (c3/c4) media lab dedicated to catalyzing new scalable and sustainable digital media models for citizen engagement. We are particularly focused on developing new digital media models that engage communities of color and low-income communities, as well as models that bring together diverse citizens across class and race. We focus on media ventures that are driving social change through news, education, and action. In 2020, we’re running nonpartisan online voter registration (OVR) and get out the vote (GOTV) campaigns. These OVR and GOTV digital campaigns are focused on communities of color, as well as youth.
Accelerate Change uses lean startup methodologies and other business strategies to help start-up nonprofit ventures and established organizations scale their digital media relationships and revenue. Here’s some more information on those strategies:
- Functional Organizing: Our model is based on the idea that membership organizations can experience explosive, financially sustainable growth when they provide a robust set of benefits and services that have an outstanding value to the people they seek to organize (“functional organizing”). Learn more about our model for scalable citizen organizing in the article, “The Secret of Scale” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
- Lean startup methodologies: Our approach is centered on identifying challenges and unmet needs in people’s lives. We use lean startup methodologies to rigorously test ideas for services and benefits that could help address those pain points and provide real value in people’s everyday lives. Read more about our approach to experimentation in the article, “The Promise of Lean Experimentation” from the Stanford Social Innovation Review.
Accelerate Change supports some of the fastest growing nonprofit digital media ventures in the country, with a particular focus on communities of color. We also work with a select group of established nonprofit organizations to experiment with new digital media initiatives. Our partners include:
- PushBlack, the nation’s largest nonprofit media platform for Black people, reaches over 8 million Black Americans each month with Black news, history, and culture stories.
- Noticias Para Inmigrantes, a nonprofit news and education program for immigrants, provides bi-lingual news and information that empowers 1 million immigrants to navigate life in America.
- Pulso, a national nonprofit media organization focused on Latinx communities, reaches over 2 million Latinx Americans each month with culturally relevant news and information.
- ParentsTogether, a national, parent-led nonprofit media organization, helps over 2 million subscribers stay up to date on the issues affecting their families.
- La Alianza, a digital news service for immigrants and domestic workers created by the National Domestic Workers Alliance, provides Spanish-language stories to hundreds of thousands of subscribers.
Accelerate Change’s team of 14 central staff and 29 venture staff bring a diverse mix of tech, business, organizing, and media backgrounds that contribute to identifying solutions and developing new media and citizen engagement models.
About the Position
Accelerate Change is seeking an experienced development manager/grant writer to own the fundraising pipeline for our social change organization. We are seeking someone to manage our grantor and foundation processes with a focus on long-term growth and measurable deliverables. This position will also be responsible for maintaining accurate systems for timely application submissions and reporting and overseeing our current grant CRM.
Here’s what you could expect to do as the Development Manager:
- Write all narrative proposals and narrative reports for our organization and our fiscally sponsored partners
- Serve as project manager for grant reports and financial reports for our organization and our fiscally sponsored partners: tracking deadlines, researching, compiling, writing, editing, reporting, and coordinating with key stakeholders
- Project manage and liaise with our Operations Team to coordinate budgets for proposals and financial reports
- Ensure all grant proposals and reports are submitted on time with appropriate review and approval by key stakeholders
- Serve as project manager and writer to develop content for funders and other external audiences
- Prepare and send funder acknowledgment letters
- Manage the funder CRM and other tracking systems to ensure orderly, audit compliant documentation
- Support other fundraising activities and projects as needed
What We're Looking For
In order to be considered for this role, you should meet these minimum requirements:
- Commitment to social justice. Accelerate Change is a mission-driven organization focused on progressive social change and social justice, with a focus on communities of color. You have a demonstrated commitment to this work and you’d like to be part of a team of people who do, too.
- Commitment to Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Anti-Racism: Accelerate Change is committed to becoming an anti-racist organization. You are someone who thinks about diversity, equity, inclusion from an anti-racism lens.
- 3+ years experience grant writing: We’re looking for someone who has at least 3 years of experience coordinating and writing proposals who have a proven track record of securing funding.
- Extremely organized: You have excellent attention to detail, strong project management skills, and superior ability to manage multiple complex projects with many different deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills: You can make a compelling case for funders and you are able to work with a diverse set of key stakeholders, including cultivating long term funding relationships and collaborative professional relationships.
- Comfort with a high level of change: We work with startups, so things pivot frequently and priorities shift quickly. We’re looking for someone who prefers (not just tolerates) working in a fast-paced environment like ours.
- Eager to work independently and as part of a remote team: You’re known as someone who gets things done and pays attention to detail. You prefer a mix of working independently to complete your tasks and checking in with colleagues from diverse backgrounds. You’d be comfortable working remotely with team members based all over the country and you’re no stranger to video calls.
Additionally, having one of these skills or experiences is a plus (ideal but not required):
- Strategic thinker: You have been in charge of funding strategy or a major fundraising plan.
- Experience in digital media: We’d be especially interested in hearing from you if you have an understanding of the media landscape.
- Language: Fluent in Spanish (many of our ventures and partners work with Latinx communities)
Accelerate Change is an equal opportunity employer. We believe that people of color, people from working class backgrounds, women, and LGBTQIA+ people must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other marginalized communities.