We are Summer Search, a national youth development organization dedicated to creating greater equity by increasing the number of students from low-income backgrounds who successfully enter and complete college. Since 1990, we have partnered with high schools, community-based organizations, and families to provide mentoring (by full-time staff), transformative summer experiences, and start-to-finish college advising and support.
Our long-term investment (7-9 years) successfully supports our students in changing the nation’s college completion narrative. 96% are students of color; 92% are first in their families to attend college; 71% earn a bachelor’s degree within six years of graduating high school, compared to just 21% of their low-income peers nationally.
Summer Search Boston is seeking a Program Associate to mentor a caseload of approximately 35 high school students, building long-term 1:1 relationships over the course of sophomore year through high school graduation. Taking a student-centered and culturally relevant approach, this hire will utilize Summer Search’s unique mentoring methodology, prepare students for two challenging summer experience, and support college readiness and matriculation. Through weekly conversations, the Program Associate will partner with students to provide individualized support of the many facets of students’ lives, which includes conversations about identities and social/cultural contexts.
Specifically, the Program Associate will drive program outcomes by performing these responsibilities:
Student Mentoring and Program Facilitation (60%)
- Mentor a caseload of approximately 35 high school students, building multi-year relationships and conducting regular mentoring by phone or in-person.
- Utilize a unique mentoring methodology based upon adolescent social-emotional development, cultural relevance, and critical consciousness. Enable conversations that allow students to reflect upon the impact of identities and social/cultural context on their lives.
- Hold students accountable to year-round program participation, as well as demonstrating a personal commitment to students that result in a high level of engagement throughout their Summer Search experience.
- Monitor and promote students’ academic and extracurricular participation and performance, as well as college readiness requirements.
- Participate in student recruitment, interviewing and enrollment, as well as planning and attending key milestone events for students and their families throughout the school year, including travel to schools within the region and some evening and weekend events.
- Participate in regular and ongoing trainings to build job-related skills, knowledge, and capacity e.g. student safety, cultural responsiveness.
Administration and Project Management (40%)
- Enter and track program data accurately on a daily basis in our CoPilot database to assess student progress and drive organizational learning, to ensure high levels of program quality and professional development.
- Actively participate in and/or coordinate projects that support school and student outreach, summer programs logistics, college access student support, college success student support, and/or alumni engagement.
- Provide supplemental support to team members by covering project and student-facing work as
WORK HOURS AND LOCATION
Work hours are Mon-Fri 10am-6pm with occasional weekend and evening special events. Work location is Summer Search Boston office in Jamaica Plain.
OUR BENEFITS UPDATE
We are committed to staff learning, growth and development. Our intense investment includes:
- Competitive salaries
- Medical insurance with up to 90% employer contribution
- Dental, vision, FSA, life and disability insurance plans
- 401 (K) and Employer Match up to $2,000 annually
- Generous time off including 15 vacation days, 10 sick days, 2 floating holidays, 10 company-wide holidays and a 1-week December closure.
- Individual, local, regional and national training
- A commitment to developing leaders from within the organization.
- An organizational culture that supports staff well-being and holistic self-care
- Ample opportunities to connect with the students and communities we serve
OUR COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
With a staff that cares deeply about social justice and equity, we believe that diverse perspectives and backgrounds create a rich work environment and enhance our ability to pursue our mission.
We are committed to building an organization with raised consciousness in order to impact how we work with students, as well as how we work together as a team.
We hope you will join us as we continue to build a diverse organization that fosters a work environment where people from all backgrounds are welcomed and valued.
Level of Language Proficiency
WHO YOU ARE
Program Associates exemplify curiosity, empathy, teamwork, flexibility, critical consciousness, and a commitment to learning. Specifically, strong candidates will bring:
- PASSION FOR MISSION: A commitment to Summer Search’s mission of transforming what young people believe is possible for themselves by supporting them to earn a bachelor’s degree and to become socially responsible leaders.
- EXPERIENCE: At least 2 years of professional experience working with student populations served by Summer Search (e.g. low-income families, students of color, LGBTQA, English Language Learners, and diverse religious, cultural and ethnic backgrounds.)
- RELATIONSHIP BUILDING SKILLS: Active listening skills and ability to reflect others’ viewpoints in order to build trusting relationships with both students and colleagues.
- CULTURAL COMPETENCE: Understanding of systemic and institutionalized racism facing communities of color, and the historical context of privilege and power in America, with sensitivity and humility in engaging youth around these topics.
- PERSONAL ACCOUNTABILITY: Personal responsibility for work product and results; excellent organizational skills to juggle multiple projects and ad hoc requests.
- SELF-AWARENESS AND REFLECTION: The ability to recognize and reflect upon one’s emotions, thoughts, values, experience, and identities, and demonstrate an understanding of how they influence and impact others.
- TEAMWORK: Flexibility and an eager team player who is excited to collaborate with colleagues and participate in an authentic, feedback-driven office culture.
- DATA SKILLS: Proficiency in meticulous data tracking and management; experience using CoPilot or a similar database is a plus.
OTHER DESIRED QUALIFICATIONS
- BA/BS or equivalent experience in the necessary knowledge, skills, and abilities to perform the responsibilities of the job. Equivalencies includes demonstrated knowledge in education, social work, counseling, or a related field.
- Master’s degree in education, social work, counseling or related field is a plus.
- Academic or applied knowledge of adolescent development is a plus.
- Bi-lingual English-Spanish, Haitian Creole, and Cape Verdean Creole language skills are a plus.
- A personal belief that a BA/BS is inherently valuable and necessary for many post-college career options.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Click here to apply. Select "Apply for this Position" below to submit a resume and targeted cover letter, addressed to Sam Williams, Senior Program Director, that answers the question, “Why are you interested in the Program Associate opportunity at Summer Search?