864 Delaware Avenue
Coordinate foreign language interpretation and translation services for customers in various industries, in a fast-paced and collaborative office setting. This is a customer-service based office role; it does not involve any direct translation or interpreting work.
Level of Language Proficiency
Excellent written and oral English language skills are a must. Foreign language skills are preferred but not required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
INTERNATIONAL INSTITUTE OF BUFFALO
Job Title: Interpreting & Translation Support Specialist
Compensation: $12.75 per hour
Classification: Non-Exempt, Hourly
Working Hours: 40 hours per week
Program: Interpretation & Translation Department
Supervisor: Director of Interpretation & Translation
Job summary: Coordinate language services for customers in various industries, in a fast-paced and collaborative office setting.
Education: Minimum Bachelor’s Degree in related field.
Experience: The focus of this role is to support the coordination of foreign-language interpreting and document translation services. Experience working collaboratively in a team environment and with diverse cultures is preferred.
· Excellent written and oral communication skills in the English language.
· Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills.
· Superb organizational skills and attention to detail.
· Basic proficiency with technology including Microsoft Word, Excel, and mobile applications.
· Able to problem-solve and meet deadlines in a fast-paced business environment.
· Self-starter, able to work with minimal supervision.
· Able to maintain confidentiality.
· Able to prioritize and follow-up in a timely manner.
· Able to work effectively with a team and with management.
· Knowledge of interpreters’ codes of ethics.
· Must adhere to Social Worker’s Code of Professional Ethics.
· Background in interpreting / translation preferred.
· Working knowledge of linguistics or foreign languages preferred.
Level of Supervision: Works under the general supervision of the Director of Interpretation & Translation. Does not supervise any direct reports.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Walk-in Customer Service
· Primary team member responsible for walk-in customers.
· Implement and manage procedural improvements for customer intake, ensuring accurate, efficient, and consistent service.
· Ensure effective communication with walk-in customers including implementing language access procedures for service window.
Support Interpretation Requests
- In collaboration with Interpreter Coordinator and Interpreter Scheduler, process interpretation requests by telephone, email, and through online scheduling system/ database as needed.
- Communicate effectively with team to ensure accurate data entry and smooth delivery of services.
Support Translation Requests
- In collaboration with Translation Coordinator, process document translation requests as needed.
- Collaborate with Translation Coordinator to implement new project management system, ensuring accurate record-keeping and smooth transition from previous system.
- Assist in building translation memories and customer accounts.
- Establishes and maintains professional and excellent customer service with customers and interpreters.
- Corresponds with customers and interpreters as necessary.
- Maintains positive working relationships with co-workers, supervisor, volunteer/interns and other Institute staff.
- Keeps supervisor informed of activities and potential problems.
- Maintains knowledge of current events and developments in the interpreting and translation professions.
- Assists other co-workers as needed and as workload dictates.
- Performs related duties as required.
- Promotes the best interest of the agency.
- Schedule may include occasional weekend and or evening hours as needed to meet the demands of customers.
- Highly collaborative, necessitating shared office space.
Apply by sending cover letter and resume to Emily Brady-Santos at firstname.lastname@example.org
Applications without a cover letter will not be considered. Please, no phone calls.