Mbezi Beach, Dar es Salaam
Mbezi Beach, Dar es Salaam
help2kids is looking for a motivated candidate for the role of Primary School & Assistant Field Manager. Gain great experience working with a small NGO in Tanzania!
help2kids is a young, dynamic organization located in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania's largest city, which is situated on the Indian Ocean and in Lifuwu, a small village on Lake Malawi in Malawi. We help orphans by providing food, shelter, and lots of love at our children's home. We help the community by providing support to local primary and nursery schools. We promote sustainable development and socially responsible tourism by feeding the profits from our guest houses in back into our projects.
We are currently seeking a Primary School & Assistant Field Manager in Tanzania to help with running our primary school and help with administrative and management tasks along side our Field Manager. This is a great position for someone who is passionate about children and education, and who is interested in gaining leadership experience in the field. We are gladly receiving applications from all over the world. We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible or at the very latest by 20th November 2018.
Roles & Responsibilities
Primary School Manager (65%)
- To support the mission and vision of help2kids and implement its policies.
- To demonstrate a high level of professionalism and be a good role model to and for the members of the help2kids community.
- Manage teachers and staff at the Primary School, assemble and lead weekly meetings alongside the Head Teacher
- Advocate on behalf of Primary School, networking with relevant stakeholders and partners.
- Fundraising for Bajeviro Primary School through researching, networking, proposal and grant writing and then managing donations and writing donor reports
- Implement and manage new programme ideas through-out the year for Primary School staff and students.
- Maintain good communicative relationships with current partners, parents, shareholders, and donors
- Manage all project development, including construction projects, curriculum development, teacher workshops, and donor relationships
- Create and implement new and ever-improving curriculum and teaching techniques with teachers and staff in order to increase grade and performance within the Primary School
- To manage the monitoring and evaluating processes within the school and be accountable to yearly goals.
- Manage the Bajeviro Primary School budget and all accounting duties
Assistant Field Manager (35%)
Partnerships and Fundraising
- Attend networking events alongside / on behalf of Field Manager
- Seek out potential partnership opportunities to benefit the organization as a whole and wider projects
- Support in the management and delivery of the annual help2kidsCharity Football Tournament
Staff Supervision, Leadership and HR
- Ensure all staff are adhering to organization’s policies and regulations
- Plan and play an active part in team meetings
- Provide support for HR related issues alongside / on behalf of FM,
- Support the Field Manager in improving Human Resources related areas within the management team, such as staff development and training, staff retention and the recruitment and hiring of new staff.
- Coordinate staff Holidays for management team staff throughout the year
- Work with FM to monitor running costs, budgets, resources and strategize where necessary
- Carry out any necessary banking duties.
- Support Field Manager with other duties when required
- Act as Acting Leader for all Tanzanian projects when Field Manager is not at work.
What We Expect
- Commitment for at least 1-2 years.
- Experience working and living in Tanzania/East Africa is highly desirable for this position
- Must have a bachelor’s degree (or similar) in education, international development, or a related social field; a Master’s degree would be a benefit
- Minimum of two years teaching experience
- Project management experience desirable
- Passion to work in an international environment with a lot of different cultures and to be always present for our children, employees and volunteers if needed.
- Have a driver's license and a confident driver
- Work well under minimal supervision and be self-motivated
- Monthly Salary in USD
- Housing (a room with kitchen area at new help2kids Campus)
- Visa expenses covered
- 5 weeks of paid holiday per year
- Return flights included
- Shared Car (for private use too)
- Provided with company Laptop and Phone
Unfortunately, we cannot cover medical benefits or relocation costs
Level of Language Proficiency
- High level of written and spoken English
- Experience of Swahili is highly desirable
- Additional languages would be a benefit
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please complete the below scenario responses each in no more than 400 words and include in your application materials.
- You have noticed that the motivation of the teaching staff is low and this is affecting their classroom performance. What steps would you take to improve this?
- We receive international volunteers throughout the year. One day one of them informs you that they saw a teacher holding a stick and a student crying, and in the school we have a no hitting policy. What would you do?
To apply, please send an e-mail your cover letter, CV/resume, and responses to firstname.lastname@example.org by 8th November 2018. Only applications with all three materials will be considered. Please also specify your earliest available start dates.
Due to the high number of applications we anticipate receiving, only successful applicants will be contacted and invited for an interview. Email inquiries only.