Details: Salary is determined by Legal Services NYC Collective Bargaining Agreement.
36 Richmond Terrace
*This position is at Staten Island Legal Services*
Staten Island Legal Services (across the street from the ferry) seeks a passionate attorney to join our growing immigration practice as a full-time staff attorney.
Staten Island Legal Services (SILS), the Staten Island office of Legal Services NYC (LSNYC), fights poverty and seeks racial, social, and economic justice for low-income New Yorkers. SILS advises and represents Staten Island residents through its immigration, LGBTQ/HIV advocacy, family/domestic violence, housing, foreclosure, and education units.
In addition to being the largest provider of civil legal services in the country, LSNYC provides numerous opportunities for growth and professional development. Our Learning Center provides opportunities to earn free CLEs and gain experience as a trainer. LSNYC also prides itself on its Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) efforts; on Staten Island, our DEI committee works to foster collegial relationships amongst staff, and growth in our own office’s approach to DEI and racial justice issues. Our numerous affinity groups allow staff to explore and advocate for racial justice growth within our organization.
SILS seeks a passionate and dynamic immigration attorney who will provide direct representation to clients in affirmative and defensive matters and will continue our outreach efforts to ensure access to our services for underserved Staten Island immigrant communities. The immigration attorney should expect to represent immigrants in removal defense, affirmative and defensive asylum, Special Immigrant Juvenile Status (SIJS), family petitions, consular processing, naturalization, VAWA self-petitions, and petitions for U or T-nonimmigrant status. The immigration attorney should be prepared to represent clients in family court in matters such as guardianship, and to coordinate with pro bono attorneys as necessary to mitigate immigration consequences of criminal convictions. The staff attorney will be supervised by the Immigration Advocacy Director.
• Advising and representing immigrants in cases filed with federal administrative bodies and federal district and appellate courts.
• Advising and representing immigrants in family court, as it may relate to Special Immigrant Juvenile Status.
• Collaborating with the Immigration Advocacy staff attorneys on litigation matters and strategies.
• Preparing data reports, as necessary.
• Representing Staten Island Legal Services at community events and stakeholder meetings.
• Collaborating with city, state, and federal agencies and community based organizations.
• Admission to NY Bar;
• At least three to five years’ immigration experience preferred;
• Removal defense experience preferred;
• Demonstrated passion for social justice and commitment to working with low-income immigrants to advance equality;
• Superb analytical, writing and communication skills;
• Strong advocacy skills;
• Excellent organizational skills; and
• Fluency in Spanish required.
Competitive public interest salary (determined by Collective Bargaining Agreement) and excellent benefits package.
Interested individuals should email a resume, cover letter and writing sample to:
Please write “SILS immigration attorney” in subject line
Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No telephone calls.
Staten Island Legal Services is an equal opportunity employer: People of color, women, people with disabilities, gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people, and people over the age of 40 are welcome and encouraged to apply.
Benefits include excellent health and dental insurance, an employer contribution to a pre-tax 403(b) pension plan, and generous leave time.
Level of Language Proficiency
Fluency in Spanish required.
Minimum Education Required
How To Apply
Please email a resume, cover letter and writing sample to: email@example.com
Please write “SILS immigration attorney” in subject line. Only candidates selected for interviews will contacted. No telephone calls.
Position: immediate; please read full description for position responsibilities and requirements.