171 Goddard Avenue
About the Park School
The Park School is a Pre-K to Grade 8 independent school in Brookline, MA dedicated to excellence in education. The cornerstone of Park's program is academic excellence, combining both high standards of scholarship, and the encouragement of each child to develop to his or her greatest potential. Our school community fosters a nurturing environment in which children develop curiosity, express creativity, appreciate the value of hard work and discipline, and experience the joy of learning. Park's faculty encourages each student to strive for intellectual, physical and moral growth, and to become contributing members of the community.
The Math Specialist is a member of the School’s Lower Division and reports to the Head of the Lower and Middle Division. This one year leadership position is responsible for working with Lower Division faculty to support the teaching of math. In addition, the position requires expertise in early childhood math curriculum, as well as experience working directly with four to eight-year-old children.
This position includes overseeing the math instruction in the Pre-K through Grade 2 classrooms, as well as supporting the math program by working with small groups of students. The position involves working closely with the Middle Division Math Coach and the Director of Curriculum and Instruction.
The ideal candidate will possess a passion for math teaching and learning at the K-2 level, creative problem-solving skills, strong interpersonal skills that allow one to cooperate and collaborate effectively with others, and flexibility and a sense of humor.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Provide small group math support for students
- Support individual Lower Division teachers with math instruction to reach a range of learners
- Facilitate grade level team meetings Pre-K through Grade 2
- Enhance and support the curriculum to better meet the identified needs of students
- Promote consistency in the learning experiences of the children
- Empower teachers to make effective planning, instructional and assessment decisions
- Introduce new ideas and current research about best teaching practices, as well as develop content knowledge in teachers
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Depth of understanding in math development, research-based practices and current trends in elementary math education, with a focus on student development in Pre-K through Grade 2
- Demonstrate a passion for lifelong learning and actively pursue professional development rooted in individual and schoolwide literacy goals
- Facilitative skills that promote professional growth with a student-centered math mindset
- Experience using a variety of assessment data to inform instruction
- Experience with the Investigations math program
- Strong technology skills
- A collaborative, flexible teaching style
- Outstanding interpersonal, organizational, and communication skills
- Demonstrated experience working in a culturally diverse community
- Bachelor’s Degree required
- Master’s Degree in Elementary Education preferred
- Three or more years teaching in the early elementary grades
- Knowledge of curriculum design and instructional best practices in Mathematics
- Enthusiasm for working with highly-motivated faculty and students
- Demonstrated evidence of creating and facilitating professional development opportunities
- Please visit The Park School Employment page to complete an application and upload your resume, cover letter, statement of teaching philosophy, and names of three references.
- The Park School welcomes candidates who will add to the diversity of our community and who have demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion in their teaching and learning.
- The Park School is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, ancestry, sex, disabilities, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression or family composition or any other status protected by applicable law in the administration of its employment, education, admission, financial aid, and other policies and programs.
Minimum Education Required