We are hiring a Finance Assistant to play a key role in supporting Stand.earth’s team across North America. From accounts payable to administrative support and coordination, this position is central to ensuring the Finance Department and the entire Stand.earth team are well prepared and equipped to meet the formidable challenges of our climate crisis.
If you are super detail-oriented, excellent with numbers, and have a passion for supporting a team who are taking on corporations and the government to protect people and the planet, then read on! This might be the perfect role for you. We encourage applicants to apply by January 31, 2021. This position is open until filled.
Stand.earth is a nonprofit environmental organization working to create a world where respect for people and the environment comes first. Our campaigns challenge destructive corporate and governmental practices, demand accountability, and create solutions that support all of us — and the environment and climate upon which we depend. Stand’s strategic approach and fierce determination have yielded extraordinary results: Since 2000, we’ve secured the protection of 65 million acres of wilderness, shifted billions of dollars of corporate purchasing toward responsible options, and transformed the environmental practices of more than 100 major U.S. corporations. Stand.earth operates in the United States and Canada.
Stand recognizes and respects the sovereignty of First Nations and tribes, as well as the rights of Indigenous Peoples and frontline communities. These communities are often first and most directly impacted by environmental pollution and climate change, and they provide critical leadership in developing solutions.
Pollution, climate change, and corporations’ bad behavior disproportionately hurts the most marginalized people in society — including people of color, people from working class backgrounds, people with disabilities, women and LGBTQ+ people. To develop transformative solutions, these communities must be centered in the work we do. Hence, we strongly encourage applications from people with these identities or who are members of other historically marginalized communities. If you require assistance applying to this opportunity, please contact email@example.com.
The Finance Assistant is responsible for managing Stand.earth’s accounts payable functions, payment processing systems, and administrative support for Finance projects and activities. This is a part-time non-exempt position. The Finance Assistant will report to the Finance Manager. Salary will be commensurate with experience and location, and will likely be within the range of $20,625 to $29,250 USD at .5 FTE (20 hours per week).
This role will be based in the Pacific or Mountain time zone (working hours will be half time and during normal business hours - 9am-5pm Pacific time). The role will be remote from the comfort of the candidate's own home. Once the threat of the COVID-19 pandemic has passed, there may also be the option to work out of one of our US hub offices.
● Complete payments and control expenses by receiving, processing, verifying, and reconciling invoices
● Reconcile processed work by verifying entries and comparing system reports to balances
● Charge expenses to accounts and cost centers by analyzing invoice/expense reports; recording entries
● Pay vendors by monitoring discount opportunities, verifying federal id numbers, scheduling and preparing checks, and resolving purchase order, contract, invoice, or payment discrepancies and documentation
● Ensure credit is received for outstanding memos
● Issue stop-payments or purchase order amendments
● Receive and verify expense reports; works with Finance Manager to process payments
● Maintain accounting ledgers by verifying and posting account transactions
● Verify vendor accounts by reconciling monthly statements and related transactions
● Maintain historical records by filing documents electronically
● Disburse petty cash by recording entry and verifying documentation
● Report sales taxes by calculating requirements on paid invoices
● Prepare and process cash, journal vouchers and record in accounting software
Support & Administrative Duties
● Provide administrative and technical support for annual budget creation, mid-year budget reforecast, and annual financial audit processes
● Maintain contracts and process invoices for vendors
● Process documents and reports in a timely manner and maintain accurate and up to date filing system
● Additional duties as assigned
● 2 years related experience
● Interest in or passion for the mission of Stand.earth
● Proficiency with Microsoft Office Suite programs including Excel and Word
● Proficiency with Quickbooks Online accounting software (or similar program)
● Strong attention to detail
● Good interpersonal skills
● Basic reasoning skills as demonstrated by the ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions; and deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations
● Strong language skills as demonstrated by the ability to read and interpret documents such as operating instructions or procedure manuals, ability to write routine reports and correspondence, and ability to communicate effectively
● Comfortable working in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment
We are hiring a Finance Assistant to play a key role in supporting Stand.earth’s team across North America. From accounts payable to administrative support and coordination, this position is central to ensuring the Finance Department and…
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: FinanceAssistant@stand.earth. Be sure to include your name in the subject line and on all attachments. In your cover letter, tell us what’s motivating you to apply for this role and your favorite accounting software and why. Please also make sure to let us know how you heard about this position. The recruitment and interview process will include a time-bound anonymous skills assessment and two rounds of interviews. We thank you for your interest, but only those selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please.
Please submit your resume and cover letter to: FinanceAssistant@stand.earth. Be sure to include your name in the subject line and on all attachments. In your cover letter, tell us what…